News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some medals of Okuma Shigenobu, 17th Prime Minister of Japan

fukuoka

OMG, Nick, I didn't notice how wonderful and rare that document is! (Wine blurs the senses...) Yes, WHY is it a Japanese award document with a Russian award noted??? Since this was very early, perhaps the Japanese government had not instituted the permission documents.

• Replies 123
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this was very early, perhaps the Japanese government had not instituted the permission documents.

Yes, I think you are right.

In 1882 Japanese awarding system was only 7 years old with only three orders (Rising Sun, Rising Sun with Pawlonia Leaves and Chrysanthemum) and three medals (Taiwan, Constitution and "Cannon") ...

In case of this Anna document they used standard engraving for early rising sun docs.

The only thing that was left to do - to change the order decal ;)

Unbelievable doc...

Edited by JapanX

Forgot the award document.

Interesting that 'Anne' is written in kanji

This is really odd, as in fact-is-stranger-than-fiction sort of way. A Russian Order on a Japanese Award Document. If I didn't see it here, I would think it was a Frankenstein mash-up joke. Thank you for showing this. :cool:

The Japanese document is indeed an early permission to wear document. The text also says so and the issue number (138) refers to the registration of foreign awards. I think the Japanese initially copied this system from the french. Their earlier permission to wear documents issued by the Grand Chancellor of the Legion d'Honneur also has a colored picture of the foreign award concerned. Because of the high costs of making such documents, the Japanese probably later switched to the permission to wear documents without any picture.

These pictured permission to wear documents are very rare, I have only seen one other one before (for the Grandcross Crown of Italy to marquis Tokudaiji) in the collection of a Japanese fellow collector. Unfortunately, he didn't want to sell or trade.

Richard, thank you for showing this nice document to us.

Pieter

In case of this Anna document they used standard engraving for early rising sun docs.

On second thought for this permission doc they used engraving design of the 1874 War Medal document!

See for yourself http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/55001-1874-war-medal-close-look/page-2 ;)

I think since is was simply a permission doc they decided to use the design of the first (and the only one at the time of introduction of this practice) medal and not the order.

Edited by JapanX

Kato received his Paulownia on July 14th 1916, after he resigned as foreign minister (I have his order and Pauwlonia document in my collection)

Pieter,

Due to my PhD, I got often in touch with Kato. Would you mind to share your treasures/his decorations and documents?

Thanks in advance and br,

Chris

Chris,

I am a digillitarate and don't know how to put pictures on GMIC. But if you go to the site of Richard (imperialjapanmedalsandbadges) under Grandcordon a picture is shown of Kato's order of the Chrysanthemum document, which he received posthumously on 28 January 1926. The Grandcordon shown by Richard is not Kato's, but his looks exactly the same.

Hope this is of some use to you,

Pieter