News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Even to my neophyte eye it looks strange...

My basic questions...

Why the Saxon medal after the Hindenburg EK and the Austrian WWI Comm (and then the Austria-Hungary PRO PATRIA at the end)?

Why the Austrian WWI Red Cross decoration? Everything else is "combatant"...

Shouldn't the Spanish Civil War Comm be at the end instead of the Austria-Hungary PRO PATRIA?

@Irish Gunner - I think that is a lifesaving medal

Why are the hungarian and austrian commemorative medal mounted so far apart! It is true that after 1938 Austrian awards were considered German and not 'foreign', but it is still mounted away from the other Austrian medals.

This person got around quite a lot before WW2, Czechoslovakia and Austria. But no actual WW2 awards? Even for a doctor, as this person seems to be, that is pretty strange.

If the price is right, see if the pieces themselves are original and decide. But as a medal bar I wouldn't recommend.

I found the group interesting but at a hammer price of £1745 .... left it to those wiser than I.

The Saxon medal is in fact a Prussian Life saving Medal - still not sure the medal is in the right order though.

I know from previous posts the Austrian commem. medal was upgraded position wise when Austria fell within the sphere of the TR.

Regards the Austrian red Cross Medal I suspect a combatant soldier may also be recognised for some service of merit to the RC ?

The ribbons look ok to me but comment on the backing etc; would be welcome?

So who would be entitled to a bar of this construction?

So who would be entitled to a bar of this construction?

Taking into account the german, austrian and perhaps spanish (not sure) medical awards, probably a doctor or some such. The lifesaving medal may also point towards this (though not necessarily).

The precedence is actually correct for a World War II-era Wehrmacht service member. Lifesaving medals ranked after the Honor Cross for Combatants and the Austrian Commemorative Medal for the World War, and before Wehrmacht long service medals. Red Cross decorations ranked after Third Reich-era commemoratives like the "Flower Wars" medals here (and Olympic and Schutzwall decorations). And foreign decorations came last.