Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Another interesting Ribbon Bar, as far as I could gather, this gent earned the following: 

Bavarian MVK 

EKII

Reuss Merit Medal

Hindenburg Cross

Bavarian Luitpold Jubilee Medal (the faintest hints of green on the edges on the reverse, I thought it was )

Bavarian Long Service Medal (faded terribly)

Saxon War Merit Cross

27106995369_5570e328c3_k.jpg

27106994389_cc1a3d7412_k.jpg

A rather patriotic Bavarian to keep the MVK in the 1st place on the bar even in the 1930s! :-) Was there a Bavarian Regt with the strong Reuss connection?

2 hours ago, Dave Danner said:

None that I know of. Probably a native of Reuß.

Sometimes there are strange streams in peoples lives. Especially back them when folks did not travel that much. A local collector had a large group, including the full uniforms and Tschakos of a guy who served in the 14th Jäger Battalion.... and the 2nd bavarian Jäger battalion.... how strange is that??

Having served in both the Bavarian and Prussian Armies is certainly strange, although for those two units it might be less uncommon than for any other Prussian Jäger-Bataillon.  Since JB 14 was stationed in Alsace, a Bavarian living there might end up doing his draft time with the batallion and then going back home to Bavaria. 

I've come across other Bavarians living in Alsace-Lorraine who ended up in local Prussian regiments such as IR 132, although I can't recall any who then transferred to the Bavarian Army.  IR 132 and other Straßburg-based regiments were often a stopping place for college students at the university there to do their Einjährig-Freiwilliger year, no matter where in the Empire they originally came from.

I still have not been able to put a name to my mystery Bavarian bar, but Daniel and I are of the opinion that while he served in the Bavarian Army in the early 1900s (since he had the 1905 Jubilee), he apparently served in World War I in the Prussian Army, since there are no Bavarian officer matches for his wartime awards (from Prussia, Bavaria, Saxe-Meiningen, Bulgaria and Austria-Hungary).