News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

And six(?) flieger badges showing! I can't see them all clearly, maybe seven? Great photo! Can you name any of the gentlemen?

Does the sixth man from the right have a cufftitle on his sleeve?

There are seven guys with badges.

I have many names of flying personal of the LFS Hage but i can't allocate it to the persons on this picture without a date.

Most interesting is the man in the middle (seventh from right). Maybe the leader of the unit. This officer wear a army uniform i guess but he have an navy aviation badge (can't see what kind of). Possible this man could be named.

Regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

The man in the middle could be Olt.d.R. Heyer (first name?) an army officer who served within the navy during WW1. Heyer got the navy observer badge on 23.10.1915 and became leader of Hallenschutzstation (HSS) Hage on 22.04.1916. Jan. 1918 he became leader of LFS Nordholz.

So possible we see here the personal of the HSS Hage (unit for protection of the airship base).

Regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

This is one of my favorite navy related pieces from my collection. I think today is a good day to present it.

It is the group of Vz.Fl.Mst.d.R. Ludwig Klotz, pilot at R-Flugzeugkommando (giant plane commando) at the Seeflugzeug-Versuchs-Kommando (SVK) Warnemünde.

The plane on this picture is the navy version (L) of an Staaken R.VI with floats carried the military number 1432 called "Lisbet". The only one built. The plane arrived at Warnemünde at November 1917.

Not much is known about Klotz. He was born on 30.09.1895 at Offenbach near Frankfurt am Main. 1917 he was at SFS Helgoland. Got the see pilot badge on 24.04.1917 and was promoted to Vizeflugmeister der Res. on 27.02.1918.

In front of the plane is the crew:

KptLt.d.R.M.A. Karl Vollmer

Lt.z.S. Hermann Haller (observer)

VzFlMst. Ludwig Klotz (pilot)

FlObMt. Wilhelm Braun (pilot)

F.T.Mt. Max Schöning (radio operator)

MechMt. Walter Brix (machinist)

FlMechObGst. Thomas Freudenberger (machinist)

MechGst. Konrad Knüpfer (machinist)

The plane crashed on 3rd Aug. 1918 during a test flight at Warnemünde and the entire crew died on this day.

Edited by jaba1914

I hear there a little sarcasm :whistle:

I love it but it seems we are the only one who like this navy stuff.

Regards

Alex

Oh I think we all love it, but how to find it; that is the question. I've never seen many items like this before outside of a book! :)

I love it but it seems we are the only one who like this navy stuff.

A-hem <<<throat clearing>>> There are others that like this stuff too.

In fact, I just picked up a See-Flieger MP with a group of document. I wasn't able to examine the pack of documents and photos so my purchase was a bit of a "pig in a poke". I was underwhelmed by what I found. :(

I guess they can't all be winners.

...and another picture from my family...drill at the "Marine Landflieger Abteilung".

My great grandfather is sitting in the middle of the picture (with the IC-ribbon).

BR

Roman

Thank you for posting this nice pictures. I'm sure there are more collectors out there who have similar pictures.

Friedrichshafen FF33e # 824 was from lot #822-841. From the same lot like the FF33e #841 called "Wölfchen". The famous a/c onbord of SMS Wolf.

I have only a note that # 824 was at Wilhelmshaven.

But pictures with FF33 are not realy rare.

Regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Thank you for posting this nice pictures. I'm sure there are more collectors out there who have similar pictures.

Friedrichshafen FF33e # 824 was from lot #822-841. From the same lot like the FF33e #841 called "Wölfchen". The famous a/c onbord of SMS Wolf.

I have only a note that # 824 was at Wilhelmshaven.

But pictures with FF33 are not realy rare.

Regards

Alex

Hi Alex,

thank you for the additional information.

The information on the airplane I got from a German Marine expert, he was also identifying the type :-)

BR

Roman

• 2 weeks later...

Alex, have you seen the Ehrenpreise given in 1918? They are smaller eagles WITHOUT ANY BASE! Just fighting eagles resting on the ground. Go to Helmut Weitze and search Ehrenpreis. He probably wouldn't mind if someone copied the photo. There is also an Urkunde. I asked S. Previtera about this and he says he knows of another one that will go in his second volume.

This is Not correct. I saw regular Ehrenpreise awarded 1918.

Like the One awarded to Fl.Ob.Mt. Giese on 23.05.18 or the One to Lt.z.S. Lodemann from 11.06.18. This are only two example.

I saw the one from Weitze and the other one you mention. I don't know what this are but since I don't see a group coming with a document no one know if this was a official replacement for the Ehrenpreis.

If I remember the other one comes with a name of an pilot who don't have an confirmed victory.

I think it is not useful to make baseless rumors.

Regards

Alex

Here is a picture of my grandfather's naval pilot's badge. Scratched on the reverse, (which doesn't show) it says:

Flugzeugfuhrer Kegel

I Seeflieger Abtl.

Putzig 183/14

Sorry about it being sideways.

I believe that the 183/14 was his pilot number. It is also written on the inside of his pilot's logbook.

His name was Joseph Ulrich Kegel. I believe he went to Putzig in 1918 after pilot training and serving in the infantry.

I would really like some help translating the logbook and his notebooks and other documents. I'd especially like to know what balloon ramming was, since he did it several times.

John

Here is a picture of my grandfather's naval pilot's badge. Scratched on the reverse, (which doesn't show) it says:

Flugzeugfuhrer Kegel

I Seeflieger Abtl.

Putzig 183/14

Sorry about it being sideways.

I believe that the 183/14 was his pilot number. It is also written on the inside of his pilot's logbook.

His name was Joseph Ulrich Kegel. I believe he went to Putzig in 1918 after pilot training and serving in the infantry.

I would really like some help translating the logbook and his notebooks and other documents. I'd especially like to know what balloon ramming was, since he did it several times.

John

Hello John;

Let me be the first to welcome you to the GMIC website. I see you have a family interest in militaria. Great! The badge and logbook are wonderful mementos to your grandfather. I think you will find some really great people on this website with a variety of backgrounds and knowledge bases.

I think there are some here that could help you with your logbook translations. When you can, please post the pages. But before you photo the logbook could you post some photos of the reverse. I know you said that the inscription doesn't show up, but everyone here likes to see the reverse sides of these badges.

-Claudius

Hello again:

This is, I believe, certification of my grandfather's service and his pilot rating, dated when he left the military in 1919.

The photograph is of my grandfather and the other photograph is of my grandfather and another man, possibly his squadron leader.

I'm sorry for the quality. I only have a photocopy. Also, if it's sideways again. I'll try to figure this out.

John

Pilot.pdf

These are images of a Flugbuch. I think my grandfather had several and that this is the last one before he was shot down and wounded. It is the only one I have.

The story he told me, which he always made as light and humorous as possible, was that he was flying along at altitude when his left wing was "sawed off" by machine gun bullets. He never saw the other plane. His own plane went into a "falling leaf spin" which apparently ejected his observer, (although he might have jumped) as my grandfather never saw him again. He rode the plane to the ground, as he had no parachute. He said he thought they were not issued parachutes because "the generals wanted us to bring their plane back instead of leaving it somewhere."

I'd really like to know what the entries on these pages mean. I'll try and find a better way to do the pictures. The book is obviously old, and fragile.

Best wishes,

John