News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pages from another type of log book. I took the pictures of the page that describes the "balloon ramming." My grandfather said that going after balloons was very dangerous as they were protected by other planes, anti-aircraft, etc., and they were always on the wrong side of the line. He said the best assignment was ground attack because they would fly in low and fast, fire off their ammunition quickly, then go home before people could shoot effectively at them.

John

This is one page from one of three books that were apparently from flight school. I can't tell where the instruction took place or when. There are sections on aircraft engines, navigation, communication, and aerodynamics, and lots that I can't read.

Since this website is hosted in Britain, let me say that my grandfather was born in Welver, near Dortmund in 1898. His father was German but his mother was a Scot, so he spoke English with a Scottish accent, called me "Laddie," and loved the bagpipes. After the war he emigrated to Argentina and then the United States where he worked as a civil engineer. Ironically, he worked for the US Army building air bases, including Tachikawa in Occupied Japan, and Tan Son Nhut in Vietnam.

Best wishes,

John

Here is the reverse side of the pilot's badge. I hope you can read it. I will post some other documents in a few minutes.

Now that is neat!!! An original engraved badge. Love to see things like this. You never see originals it seems!!

• 2 weeks later...

What a great group you showed here. Really great documents. I would be vary glad to read all the pages of his log books. This contains a lot of important informations about the training of navy pilots. It seems he had a single-seater training short after his pilot training.
    I have a log book of an navy land pilot who had a simillar training. First a basic pilot training and after that the single-seater training at the school at Langfuhr.

This was the second single-seater school of the navy. I think your grandfather never was involved as pilot in WW1.

Regards

Alex

The signature on the second log book could be of KptLt Alfred Edler who was the leader of SFS Putzig from 13.06.1918.

He came to Putzig from SFS Flensburg where he was the leader of the training unit.

I'm sure Gunnar has more infos about him.

Regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

• 2 months later...

I want to bring this thread alive with some impressions from the special exhibition to the 100th anniversary of the german naval aviation service.

This exhibition is open until 31. August 2014 at the Aeronauticum / Nordholz.

An overview

Another highlight

The Ehrenpreis of LtzS Theodor Lodemann (23.07.1894 - 04.07.1918) awarded 11.06.1918.

The group of LtdRMI Karl Wippermann last leader of Landflugstation Nordholz.

Edited by jaba1914

the highlight of this exhibition.

The group of FrgKpt Peter Strasser (FdL)

attachicon.gifIMG_5692.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_5695.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_5701.JPG

What did they do his medal bar!?!

The Karl Wippermann group is nice. Thank you for showing this exhibit. I am sure you must have really enjoyed looking at these displays. I would have loved to see it myself...and to handle the pieces in the cases. :jumping:

The medal bar arrived in this condition from the family. Some awards are apart on display some are missing. They told me it was difficult to save the group from DDR to West Germany years ago.

The Wippermann group is a loan from me for this exhibition.

Regards

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

The imperial German navy air service hat units for both see planes and land planes.

All land based units are under the command of the Landfliegerabteilung (LFA)

The see based units are either under the command of I. Seefliegerabteilung (I. SFA) or II. Seefliegerabteilung (II. SFA).

Regards

Alex

• 1 month later...