News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 4 weeks later...

What a wonderful thread. Over here in the states, we have a small dedicated group that has a Kaiserliche Marine living history impression that we put together for the centennial. My part in this project is portraying a Flugmeister of Marine-Feld-Jagdstaffel I. Here is a potential photo for the pilot's license I had made up.

Flugmeister.jpg

Here is a close up of the shoulder strap with a reproduction we made of the Flugmeister insignia:

FlugmeisterAuflage.jpg

The last input remind me that i wanted to present you this picture along with the history of this man.

Picture ist signed 1916 at Nordholz by Flugzeugobermatrose (later Flugobermaat) Heinrich Hahn.

12.02.1916 command to LFS Nordholz
    05.03.1916 Landfliegerabzeichen
    08.06.1916 promoted to Flugmaat (F)
    20.10.1916 moved to zum Versuchs- und Uebungsflugpark (VÜFP) Ost
    23.12.1916 moved back to LFS Nordholz
    28.03.1917 moved to LFS Wainoden (from 16.04.1917 renamed to LFS Schlütterhof)
    16.04.1917 EK II
    28.07.1917 promoted to Flugobermaat
    27.12.1917 EK I
    15.11.1917 moved to Marine-Feld-Jagdstaffel (MFJ) 1
    16.05.1918 wounded. Smooth landing at Ghistelles. Admitted to hospital.

Edited by jaba1914

Jaba,

My name is Robbie Asplund. I'm attempting to honor Josef Wirtz of MFJ-I for our project. But yes, Wirtz was a Marineflieger who died in combat in April 1917. He died as a Vizeflugmeister, but I'm as yet unsure what that rank translates to on the uniform. Flugmeister and Oberflugmeister I know, but how the "Vize-" is represented on the uniform is beyond me at the moment.

Cheers,

Robbie

Jaba,

My name is Robbie Asplund. I'm attempting to honor Josef Wirtz of MFJ-I for our project. But yes, Wirtz was a Marineflieger who died in combat in April 1917. He died as a Vizeflugmeister, but I'm as yet unsure what that rank translates to on the uniform. Flugmeister and Oberflugmeister I know, but how the "Vize-" is represented on the uniform is beyond me at the moment.

Cheers,

Robbie

Vizeflugmeister wore the same uniform as an Flugmeister. On the visor they wore the same patches as the officers. I think this is the only difference between Flug(ober)meister and Vizeflugmeister.

Look at the picture of Vizeflugmeister Klotz I attached.

regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

• 2 months later...
    • 5 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I feel forced to show a snapshot, taken by my great grandfather on board of SMS Danzig....it is "Friedrichshafen F 33 ", somewhere in the Baltic Sea.

Hope you like it...

Best regards

Roman

Thanks for your support on this thread. Seems it getting boring.

Regards

Alex

I feel forced to show a snapshot, taken by my great grandfather on board of SMS Danzig....it is "Friedrichshafen F 33 ", somewhere in the Baltic Sea.

Hope you like it...

Best regards

Roman

Great photo and family history. Thanks for sharing it.

• 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...

"Boring"?  I'll have to do something about that.  I can't get to now, but come January I will see if I can add something.

After a long gestation I am finally able to present this wonderful Seefliegerabzeichen.  It is a "800" stamped piece with the excellent obverse details and patina you would expect.  But it is the reverse that is really special.

This badge is engraved to Otto Hess.  He flew with the famous Naval Marine Ace, Frederick Christensen.  I will post more details about his career later, but for now here are the photos.