News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Alex

I have some problems with "all" Harms who served as Marine flyers. It apparently existed three (maybe four) ;)

Anyway I have a note that Gerhard Harms did 91 front flights in SFS List before he joined See 1 on 2 Jun 1917. If this is a correct scenario he should have received

the BeoAbz in 1915 or 1916 ? I havent checked the KTB of SFS List.

I have him born in Bremen but no date.

Gunnar

My contribution:

- Staffel Christiansen, Seeflugstation Flandern (Zeebrügge). With third from right Oberleutnant der Reserve Friedrich Christiansen (in 1939 General der Flieger)

- Marine-Luftschiff- Abteilung

KaMa - 060 - Matrose Mützenband MARINE-LUFTSCHIFF-ABTEILUNG.jpg

KaMa - 2001 - Staffel Christiansen, Seeflugstation Flandern (Zeebrügge).jpg

Great contribution Odulf. Don't stop.

@ Gunnar, you are right. The Harms who received the observer badge on 21.05.1918 is not Gerhard. It should be the Art.Mt. Harms from LFA who was at LFS Barge and later promoted to  Vz.Fl.Mst.d.R. on 21.08.1918.

But Gerhard was canceled from the list of observer on 19th Sept. 1918.

That means the date of award to Gerhard Harms is missing.

Regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

My contribution:

- Staffel Christiansen, Seeflugstation Flandern (Zeebrügge). With third from right Oberleutnant der Reserve Friedrich Christiansen (in 1939 General der Flieger)

KaMa - 2001 - Staffel Christiansen, Seeflugstation Flandern (Zeebrügge).jpg

from left to right:

Flugmaat Huthmacher (P), Lt.z.S. Eugen Zapp (B), Vizeflugmeister Hilger (B), Lt.z.S. Friedrich Christiansen (P), Flugmaat Karl Elsaesser (B), Lt.d.R.M.A. Hans Röver (P)

Edited by jaba1914

from left to right:

Flugmaat Huthmacher (P), Lt.z.S. Eugen Zapp (B), Vizeflugmeister Hilger (B), Lt.z.S. Friedrich Christiansen (P), Flugmaat Karl Elsaesser (B), Lt.d.R.M.A. Hans Röver (P)

WOW!  I don't think I have ever seen that many naval guys together all wearing their flight badges.  What an outstanding photo to own!  Thank you for sharing.  

@Alex -Thank you for the identification.   

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi Alex!

Nice thread you have started here!

I just stumbled over a picture for sale at Ebay, that might fit in here pretty good...

(quick rip :blush:) What impresses me most is the striking military posture of the naval flyer...

Regards

Hagrid

Cecilie und die Flieger.JPG

Hi Alex!

Nice thread you have started here!

I just stumbled over a picture for sale at Ebay, that might fit in here pretty good...

(quick rip :blush:) What impresses me most is the striking military posture of the naval flyer...

Regards

Hagrid

Hi Hagrid,

welcome here. I'm glad that your first post is on this thread. Maybe it was the reason for your sign in. I hope you can contribute something on this thread.

Kind regards

Alex

(...) I hope you can contribute something on this thread.

Kind regards

Alex

"Thy wish shall be granted! "  ;)

This little "precious" arrived just the other day - I think one doesn´t see them too often:

A miniature (or Prinzen) sized marine observer without hardware, probably meant for a clasp.

Measuring 45 mm from the tip of the cross to the bottom of the bow (49 mm with the loop included) and 30 mm at the broadest part.

Decorated with a sweethearts engraving and date (purportedly of their marriage).

Made of guilded silver, with  "800" and "halfmoon and crown stamping", little traces of wear on the obverse.

I would assume by it´s style and the way the stamps look like that it was made by Schaper...

I like it.

Regards

Hagrid

5 MarBeob Schaper Spangenstück.jpg

5-1 MarBeob Schaper Spangenstück rev.jpg

(...)

I would assume by it´s style and the way the stamps look like that it was made by Schaper...

I like it.

I like it too. And I agree with you regarding the maker. Not certain but possible.

Regards
    Alex

A miniature (or Prinzen) sized marine observer without hardware, probably meant for a clasp.

Measuring 45 mm from the tip of the cross to the bottom of the bow (49 mm with the loop included) and 30 mm at the broadest part.

Decorated with a sweethearts engraving and date (purportedly of their marriage).

Made of guilded silver, with  "800" and "halfmoon and crown stamping", little traces of wear on the obverse.

What a great little piece!  I think it is too small to be a Prinzen piece.  I think it was a more unique size, and it was something that his wife specifically ordered and added the loop (for his watch chain?)  If so, then I think it was a late wedding present or an early anniversary present, because as an active duty Naval Observer I would think he would be wearing his uniform and pin-backed badge.  I love the engraving.  Very touching and correct.

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...

I want to present you Flugzeugobermatrose Christian Schmidt from I. SFA.

Bronce gilded observer badge and miniature from same maker.

565ae2b9e0082_Beobachterset(vs).thumb.jp

565ae2becfd80_Beobachterset(rs).thumb.jp

Portrait of Christian Schmidt from 1919.

565ae2c4ce115_ChristianSchmidt.thumb.jpgBeobAbz.jpg.da5a48b69d281c5606447406e4b7

Edited by jaba1914

Hello Alex.

A most beautiful set you have! But you use the word "miniature" for the small sized badge, but I would say that the below shown badge is a miniature. But I often see this smaller sized badge described as a miniature and it seems to be a size used for the majority of the various aviation badges. Was this an official size for these different aviation badges and thus described as a miniature by the manufacturer?

Regards, Lars 

4550-A-jpg.thumb.jpg.2959b2cc3786e4c318c

On 11/29/2015, 6:35:32, jaba1914 said:

I want to present you Flugzeugobermatrose Christian Schmidt from I. SFA.

Bronce gilded observer badge and miniature from same maker.

565ae2b9e0082_Beobachterset(vs).thumb.jp

565ae2becfd80_Beobachterset(rs).thumb.jp

Portrait of Christian Schmidt from 1919.

565ae2c4ce115_ChristianSchmidt.thumb.jpgBeobAbz.jpg.da5a48b69d281c5606447406e4b7

The correct term for the smaller version of the pilot badge is 'Prinzengrosse' (not really a miniature) which literally means 'Prince's Size" and refers back to the practice in the 19th century of making 2/3 size orders and decorations for young princes of the German courts.You often see photos of Crown Prince Wilhelm as a boy wearing Prinzengrosse breast stars. Most famously, Kaiser Wilhelm I wore a Prinzengrosse medal bar in order to fit his many orders and decorations on a single bar.

Some pics I´ve found on my computer...mostly from ebay.

They fit in here pretty good:

1. unknown observer

2. pilot Ludwig Liebig

3. pilot (?) - what happened to his badge? Looks like a cut-out version or is it a flaw on the picture?

Regards

Hagrid

Marinebeobachter.JPG

Marineflieger Ludwig Liebig 7-001.jpg

Marinefliegerabz.JPG

I´ve enhanced the last picture in detail:

It looks like an observer badge with an ink (?) stain on the photo...

Strange.

Regards

Hagrid

Marinefliegerabz det.jpg