News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Welcome Peter Monahan as Moderator

Both Brian and myself must also welcome you , Peter, as the new Moderator for this Forum.

A richly deserved reward for your hard work on the Forum - you will have our full support.

However, please don't think that this will allow you to escape being our Chief Judge on Comps...........

Other details as per our Welcome to Mike on SA Forum.

I knew you guys were holding out on me! Every time I asked about the jacuzzi the head porter told me it was drained for sterilization. Which one of you was it who had the nasty rash anyway? ;)

Glad to join this august group!

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

I knew you guys were holding out on me! Every time I asked about the jacuzzi the head porter told me it was drained for sterilization. Which one of you was it who had the nasty rash anyway? ;)

Glad to join this august group!

Peter

No rash... Boonzaier originally thought it was a bidet... :whistle:

Hey hey hey! Do I talk about you and the pitcher of Planter's Punch? That poor girl is still looking for her... Oh, sorry! Never mind. :whistle:

Michael, to semi-explain the inside joke, was not only present but a willing accomplice when I persuaded the Dean of Residence at my university to let me keep a fully finctional Martini Henry rifle in my room, after a completely specious assurance that I'd remove the firing pin.

Of course, on the plus side of the ledger, I now know how to remove a 'Tini firing pin and have a much better appreciation of one of Rudyard Kipling's stories of Private terence Mulvaney and the dire consequences of fiddling with the 'internal economy' of one's rifle.

Edited by peter monahan

‘“Wrong!” sez the Arm’rer-Sargint; “I showed him, as though I had been his mother, the way av shtrippin’ a ’Tini, an’ he shtrup her clane an’ aisy. I tould him to put her to agin an’ fire a blank into the blow-pit to show how the dhirt hung on the groovin’. He did that, but he did not put in the pin av the fallin’-block, an’ av coorse whin he fired he was strook by the block jumpin’ clear. Well for him ’twas but a blank—a full charge wud ha’ cut his eye out.” "Black Jack" Rudyard Kipling

I also taught a mutual friend of ours how to disassemble Lee-Enfields and Martini-Henrys. He went on to an illustrious career in Special Efffects with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, and for Fraggle Rock, which unfortunately provided no scope for his firearms knowledge.

And Peter, I'm sure you misremember that story - I never had a pitcher of Planter's Punch - each must be freshly mixed. And remember I still have my photographs from various Halloween parties :shame: Not that anyone would recognize us from that long ago.

Michael

Edited by Michael Johnson