News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Orders in Tamatebako Miyake (Boxes for Nobles and Foreigners)

JapanX

• Replies 206
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
    • 2 years later...

Hello to all,

In complement with  the previous talking about, i wish to show you a 7th class sacred tresure in tamatebako miyake (with unpacked tassels).

It belonged to an police officer who was in charge to assure the protection of crown prince Hiro Hito (not still emperor) during his visit in Paris june 2nd 1921.

This police officer was decorated a few days after the visit of H.Hito : june 7th 1921.

Patout

20161028_113933.jpg

20161028_113950.jpg

20161028_113654.jpg

20161028_113834.jpg

Thanks a lot Nick for your answer,

Here are close-up of each side of the medal as requested....

what I understand and what I don't know about this medal !!

The central mirror is rather wide and corresponds well to a manufacturing of the era Taisho as I learnt  by reading Nick's previous comments... There is a trademark "t" in the back, but I do not know to what it corresponds.
    On the other hand there is no kanji inside the lid...

Nick is it because these a lower class ??

Thank you by anticipation for your answer.

Regard

Patout

20161031_083355.jpg

20161031_083457.jpg

20161031_083544.jpg

1.jpg

Just now, PATOUT said:

On the other hand there is no kanji inside the lid... Nick is it because these a lower class ??

Exactly!

Same story with two lower classes of rising sun order.

Just now, PATOUT said:

The central mirror is rather wide and corresponds well to a manufacturing of the era Taisho as I learnt  by reading Nick's previous comments... There is a trademark "t" in the back, but I do not know to what it corresponds  

Unknown maker (as per today) that was active between November 1915 and December 1921.

Nice pictures! Many thanks!

Best, 

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Hello to all

I have this small box in my collection without to be able to knowing to what it corresponds and for what ? :  medal or badge.

It seems to be in relation with the visit of prince of Wales (future Edward VIII) in 1923 in Japan... may be for English crown prince security forces ?... but am I right ?

NB : The 3rd class medal is here to indicate the side of this small box

If someone can help me to translate the inscription on the lid... i'll have the answer ... or half of the answer (and it will be already very well).

Thanks to all who can help me.

Regards

Patout

20161103_110321.jpg

20161103_110353.jpg

20161103_110424.jpg

The inscriptions reads 

東京市 - Tokyo city

Look like presentation box for some memento connected with all these visits in the early 20s.

Regards,

Nick

P.S. Nice 3rd class pillars ;) 

Edited by JapanX

1 hour ago, JapanX said:

東京市 - Tokyo city

Look like presentation box for some memento connected with all these visits in the early 20s.

Big thank you Nick

for this documented and fast answer.

It's a real pleasure to correspond with somebody competent and who don't hesitate to take some time to help other collectors who share the same passion.

PS : I'm Lucky to have some "pillars" but unfortunately only in the lower classes : 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th classe, but all in nice condition.

Thanks and regards

Patout

Just now, PATOUT said:

It's a real pleasure to correspond with somebody competent and who don't hesitate to take some time to help other collectors who share the same passion.

:beer: 

By the way, it`s interesting how they tried to translate his name Fournon in japanese.

In document we see 

佛蘭西國人 (France / France people )

and his name in katakana 

フIルノソヲ

Not very close :)

I would expect something like  

フォアノン

Cheers,

Nick

22 hours ago, JapanX said:

:beer: 

By the way, it`s interesting how they tried to translate his name Fournon in japanese.

In document we see 

佛蘭西國人 (France / France people )

and his name in katakana 

フIルノソヲ

Not very close :)

I would expect something like  

フォアノン

Cheers,

Nick

Hello Nick,

I was very curious to know how could be translated the name "Fournon" in Japanese but I did not want to make an excessive use of Nick's kindness.
    Thus.... thank you for this answer which I had not dared to asked.

Regards

Patout

• 3 months later...

Hello to all, dear friends collectors,

I'm French and new on this forum. Above all I wanted to thank you all for the very high quality of this site and the big wealth of the information wich we find here. It's for me a gold mine of very useful informations. One particular thought for Nick who is always here to help the collector in distress, it is really ...."the pillar of site"....

Unfortunately we have no site of this level in France....

In answerd to Nick's article about Tamatebako Miyaké :  "If you have additional examples...please post them here".

I want to present you a 2nd class sacred treaser from Taisho era. It is in every respect similar to that of Nick except for the "swan" mark (mine have not).

Regards

Patout

Tamatebako Miyaké (10).jpg

Tamatebako Miyaké (6).jpg

Tamatebako Miyaké (7).jpg

Tamatebako Miyaké (8).jpg

Tamatebako Miyaké (5).jpg

Tamatebako Miyaké (3).jpg

Tamatebako Miyaké (4).jpg

• 2 years later...

Hello Nick,

Always about Tamatebako Miyake….

I have in my collection a sacred treasure 7th class with a T.M. case (already presented on this forum) but I have never seen  a case of T.M. for a 8th class sacred treasure .!! so do you think ? do you know ? if the 8th class had existed with this kind of box ?

and same question about rising sun, what is the lowest class existing for this type of case ?

It seems to me that the lower classes are the hardest to find, and for my part I have never seen a case T.M. for a class lower than the 6th class for the order of the rising sun and for a class lower than the 7th class for the sacred treasure.

Regards

Patout

Hello Nick

Thanks a lot for this informations

I’ve never seen a box in eighth grade in Rising sun or sacred treasure... have you seen one ? or have you one in your collection ?

Regards

Patout