News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Berliner Freischützenkorps - any info on insignia is needed!

Good evening, gentlemen!

I'm vainly trying to find any information on insignia of Berliner Freischützenkorps.

Here's what I managed to acquire from various sources:

Freikorps personnel wore light green collars with numerals that varied in height. Freikorps consisted of three groups that differed in colour of above mentioned numerals, i.e.

1.Gruppe: white numerals,
    2.Gruppe: red numerals,
    3.Gruppe: yellow numerals.

Cloth oval arm patch with Berlin coat-of-arms was another distinctive insignia of Freischützenkorps.

After disbandment of Freikorps its personnel joined neue Polizeitruppe von Berlin.

Having posted this thread it came to my mind that there might be opportunity these photos are not of Freischützenkorps but of Sicherheitspolizei of Weimar Republic from the early period, i.e. 1919-1923 before it reformation into Schutzpolizei. I consulted a book by Ingo Löhken's "Die Polizei-Uniformem in Preußen 1866-1945" and found out that "Lower ranks [of SiPo] had Arabic numerals made of white metal on their collar patches that differed in size: large standing for Abteilungen and small for Gruppen" (p.25).

On the other hand, dark green collar patch with numerals of the same type (large "1" and small "3", both of red colour) can be found in "Abzeichen von Freiwilligen-Verbänden" published by Verlag Moritz Ruhl and it clearly states "Freischützenkorps" (reprint edition, p.9).

Your comments, gentlemen?