News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

24th Regiment of Foot Silver Teapot?

I picked this up in a shop today and was wondering if I could get any more information on it.

From what I can tell from the inscriptions, it's from the 24th Regiment of Foot, possibly 2nd Battalion.

See attached pictures.

Thanks.

Alex - a fantastic find. Yes - it is the second Battalion of the 24th and SM stands for the Sergeants' Mess.

Dating is all important as the 24th and part of the 2nd. Bn. were present at the Battle of Isandlawana in the

Anglo-Zulu War of 1879. Most of them were killed - the worst defeat our Forces ever took in a Colonial War.

I'm not sure if the arms and wreath have been set in gold - or, if the silver plating has been worn away ?

Please look around the rim - and under the pot to see if there are any hallmarks. If so, please take a photo

and I can identify the date. Mervyn.

ps. I should have said - Welcome to GMIC.

I once had a very heated argument with a Welshman over the correct title of this regiment, he insisting - "And I know because I'm Welsh." :banger: - that it was the 'South Wales Borderers' who were annihilated at Isandlhwana. In fact, of course, the regiment was not re-named the South Wales Borderers until 1891, two years after their "unfortunate affair". So, this has the potential to be a very important piece of African/British military history! :jumping:

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

Peter - probably doubtful if it ever saw Africa. Most of their stores were abandoned - probably from their Regimental home base.

I think only about a 1/3rd were Welsh - they mainly recruited in the Worcester area. Hopefully, there will a hallmark. Mervyn

Hi guys, thanks a lot, from what I can see there doesn't seem to be a hallmark around the lid or the rim but there is a number three stamped on the inside of the lid. There may have been a hallmark on the bottom of the pot at some point, but the bottom has been replaced in copper somewhere along the line. The 24th is of particular interest to myself, as it was the regiment of my local area back home, and it forms part of my own collection of medals. It was only on the off chance that this caught my eye while in an Oxfam charity shop in Surrey, and I couldn't leave it there! :D

I didn't think it would be silver - sergeants mess - silver plate. Although the copper bottom could well mean it is

Sheffield Plate. This was where a block of silver, a block of copper and another block of silver were rolled out for

shaping. I did think of this with the naming details and I can tell you now, that someone has deliberately rubbed

out the top coat of silver to show the copper. You will see that the wreath is not even in shape.

The number 3 will represent it's number in the original canteen of silver. They probably had up to 10 for large

scale entertaining.

Personally, I would have the pot stripped down by a silversmith and then re-plated. This will restore it to the

condition in which the Regt. would have used-it. With the Sphinx finial on the lid and the body inscription I

think it would fetch several hundred pounds in a London auction. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn, thanks a lot for all of the information, it's greatly appreciated. I have emailed a number of Silversmiths in London this week regarding the restoration of the teapot, and for some sort of estimate of costs too. I think it would be well worth getting it professionally restored as it would look brilliant in it's original condition. If it' turns out to be viable, I'll post pictures of the teapot after it's been restored. Thanks Alex.