News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Request for identification assistance

I recently was sent a picture of my Great-Grandfather and wondered if anyone on this forum could assist.

I have attached the photo. His name was John Emile Aguet. My family has roots in Belize. I think the uniform is from the royal marines but I am not sure. Any information or lins to places I can do more research would be great.

Many thanks!!

Hi - Phillip - and welccome to GMIC. The collar badges and the belt buckle appear to have the shape of the Royal Marines

Badge - but not at all clear. On his left sleeve he appears to have the crossed rifles of a Musketry Instructor.

I hope other members will be able to take this identification further ? Mervyn

• 2 months later...

Lucky you mentioned the Belize connection; comparing it with other photos I think he is actually a member of the Belize Light Infantry Volunteers, circa 1900. This was a part-time reservist unit in British Honduras.

You are right that this could be a colonial volunteer unit and given the Belize connection, Timothy's assessment may well be correct. The bottom badge on his left arm is volunteer version of the 'Best shot in each Squadron, Company, Battery" etc. It was instituted in 1898. The upper badge is a prize badge first awarded in 1901 to Rifle Volunteers to encourage better marksmanship. It was reserved for all Sergeants and Lance Sergeants who were already marksmen and It was worked in silver lace. The crown above it certainly appears to be the Edward crown which would put the photo post 1902. Given the time it takes to get new orders and regulations to the colonies, I would date this photo to be 1903 to 1904.