News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

unknown swedish officer

Taken from the Strand Magazine (1899)

When he was staying in Paris a little while ago, the papers noticed that he wore the ribbon of the Legion of Honour, and another, which was declared to belong to some Swedish decoration. As a matter of fact, this latter token of distinction was attached to the medal of the French Humane Society, and was earned by His Majesty thirty-three years ago, when he only enjoyed the title of Crown Prince. He happened to be walking on the Carnice Road just as a runaway carriage and pair dashed towards him, when, with great presence of mind, the young Prince ran at once to the horses’ heads, and succeeded in stopping them before any serious consequences ensued.

There you have it.

Paul

Yes, that's the story of one of his French medals. But it's for the lifesaving medal not the medaille militaire. The lifesaving medal was a big deal for him and he wore it as much he could. I doubt the story of the medaille militaire is as exiting, perhaps just a friendly gift in a military context. /Kim

It could be Paul. I did a quick look in the old digitalized Swedish newspapers omline. Nothing came up. If I had looked for the life saving medal there would be plenty. The royal family is French and I know Oscar II did visit France at least once a year. However, when he got the medal in question I don't know. Sadly medals and decorations are a very poorly reserched subject here. /Kim