News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chris,

The 9th CMR (from Lloydminster, Saskatchewan) was broken up (date unknown by me, but probably shortly after arrival in the UK) to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.

Perhaps many of those men found their way into the 19th Battalion (which was a Toronto Battalion).

Cheers,

Gary

Most of the CEF battalions numbered over about '50', I think, were broken up in the UK and used to reinforce the first 25 or so regiments. I had a great uncle who inlisted in the 155th [bay of Quinte - Ontario] Bttln who went to the 21st as well after his UK training. The Mounted Rifles were dismounted early in the conflict. It was also the case that many regiments raised in 1917 and later never reached large enough numbers to be effective as units, some going over with as few as 350-400 men on the rolls.