News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

sa railways police hat

mickey

i noticied at the top of the badge is what looks like the voortrekker monument maybe someone can put some light on why this appears on the badge , the railways police no longer exists

The original version of the badge had a crown at the top. In 1957, when the crown was removed from a number of military and police badges, the SARP decided to replace it with the Voortrekker Monument.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2013/post-3034-0-31966700-1359034342.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2013/post-3034-0-49784300-1359034344.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2013/post-3034-0-23386100-1359034346.jpg

Some of the earlier examples in my collection.

The gold band must indicate a sergeant or, inspector. I have a couple of examples but they don't have this band.

Their main purpose - of course - was to patrol trains and railway property. However, they were well armed and

provided a quick back-up force for the SAP.

The very serious riots in - I think 1959 - saw exactly this happen. Ten thousand rioters marched from Westville along the

main road to Durban. All available SAP were mobilised and managed to hold them. A further 10000 (these are Police

figures from the time) came over Berea via the University - a single Colonel and his driver turned them back . (OH! for the

days when the police had some authority.

With the poor communications of those days it wasn't realised that (approx.) another 10,000 had crossed away from the others

and proceeded to march down West Street - the long main street of Durban. As they passed shops and offices thay forced their

way-in and forced the Zulu staff to join them. Their target was the old central Durban prison - now long demolished. The only

people to defend it were 30 Railwayt Police - armed with revolvers and .303 rifles. Myself and a friend who worked for the evening

newspaper had followed along at the back. (I was 23 at the time - an age when we don't think straight)

When the mob arrived in front of the Prison they were chanting and singing Zulu fighting songs - the square of the prison walls was

at an angle across the top of the actual gates. The 30 Railway Police lined this - aiming at the crowd. I always remember an old

Warrant Officer coming up to the two of us and saying - 'I'd move if I were you lads - we're going to open fire and you're in line'.

Boy - we moved to the side quickly. THey never had to fire - they followed instructions - laid down all their weapons and walked off.

This would never happen today. We stayed to watch and it took 3 x 3 ton lorries to remove all of the weapons. Many of them were

lovely old spears and knobkerries - I still kick myself today for not keeping a few - they are worth a lot of money 52 years later. Mervyn

nice bit of history mervyn i grew up in sa during the 70s and early 80s i remember them at various stations around jhb in their green uniforms compared to the sap they seemed to have a much lower profile i have seen 1 or 2 pieces of railway pollce camo gear did they operate in the border areas, my ex sap brother always called them stasie blompotte (station flowerpots) im sure they had their own names for the sap i wonder if any books haven been written about them

• 4 years later...

Good day as and EX member of The South African Railways police, this Hat in the display was worn by recruits before qualifying.  It is truly a collectors piece

Yes we did serve on the border of the then South west Africa and Angola , The SAP members did not like it as we where better paid then them at that time

We did service in Military Browns till about 1983/4

• 3 weeks later...

many thanks cassie for the hat id and the photos which are the first i have seen showing the sarp on the border the red trucks with the mine proof cabs are also new to me trying to find any info on the sarp is very difficult, again thanks