News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Religious Motif WWI Post Cards - Gott mit Uns!

Interesting how both sides claimed God was on their side. I think God may have taken a holiday between 1914 and 1918 and told all warring parties "you made this mess so you fix it". The first world war was the war that should never should have happend with all nations equally to blame.

Interesting how both sides claimed God was on their side. I think God may have taken a holiday between 1914 and 1918 and told all warring parties "you made this mess so you fix it". The first world war was the war that should never should have happend with all nations equally to blame.

Makes you wonder doesn't it!

Larry

What I find vwery hard to understand... some things carry across borders... something like being Catholic... There are international Catholic Youth meetings etc... So, if the French are mainly catholic, and so are Southern Germans or Bavarians... How do you sell them on killing each other, surely there would be a Religious "Wait a moment, they are catholic as well" buil in the back of the brain??

What I find vwery hard to understand... some things carry across borders... something like being Catholic... There are international Catholic Youth meetings etc... So, if the French are mainly catholic, and so are Southern Germans or Bavarians... How do you sell them on killing each other, surely there would be a Religious "Wait a moment, they are catholic as well" buil in the back of the brain??

Nationaliism trumps religion evertime.

• 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...

Abacadabra... you are alive again!

It is quite a leap from "Without engaging in any religious discussions,,," to "Abacadabra... you are alive again."

There's nothing magic about religion. One may believe or not, who cares, but why make demeaning comments? They are, and perhaps are meant to be, self-defining, as are all other prejudicial remarks.

I like the collection of cards, though, and I'd like to see more. I may have a few around here somewhere.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

I have seen a few of these type. The religious figure of Jesus seems to be replaced by girlfriends and mothers in later cards, maybe the horrors of war caused a questioning of religion and replacement with a comfort figure closer to home. Just a thought.

• 5 months later...

I have had the honour of speaking to a number of concentration camp survivors - all Jews - from WWII and one of the questions I asked, when I could, was 'Did you have religious faith when you went in and did the experience change that?' That because, on my first visit to the Holocaust remembrance Centre in Toronto I went in the exit door in error and so the very first thing I saw was the guest book, in which someone had written 'Where was God?'

I have also read and taught 'Night' by Elie Wiesel, one chapter of which recounts the guards hanging a twelve year old boy. Wiesel's comment is to the effect that 'that was the day they killed God.' On the other hand, a quote by Wiesel from other writings say "I was very, very religious. And of course I wrote about it in 'Night.' I questioned God's silence. So I questioned. I don't have an answer for that. Does it mean that I stopped having faith? No. I have faith, but I question it.

I can see the trenches killing all faith in God, as the Holocaust did for many. But not all, perhaps not even most. One aspect of faith is that it is, by definition, not based on fact or evidence, so fact and evidence don't necessarily change or weaken it. BTW, the answer from most of the camp survivors was that they were atheists but all knew others who had kept their faith and in at least one case even believed that Gosd had helped her survive.

Sorry, a bit 'heavy' but I felt the topic deserved it.

Peter