News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

A friend has come across an 1880 photo of a very young PC with a Collar no SW12.

He initially felt it was a Met PC due to the photographer coming from Pimlico.

However I've never seen a Met SW collar prefix. I suspect its South Wales or a specific duty PC.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Monty

Hi all,

A friend has come across an 1880 photo of a very young PC with a Collar no SW12.

He initially felt it was a Met PC due to the photographer coming from Pimlico.

However I've never seen a Met SW collar prefix. I suspect its South Wales or a specific duty PC.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Monty

Monty,

You can discount South Wales. South Wales Police was formed on 1st June 1969. Posting a copy of the photo may assist.

Dave.

Monty - the pre1949 Met. uniform where the numbers were on the collar always had the pre-fix Div. no. This is certainly not a Div. no.

and I don't remember any special units with this prefix. Could it have been a training college ? Not sure where they were in 1880 -

although I should think Peel House was in existance.

Hi Mervyn,

Indeed. I'm well aquainted with Met prefixes and this one I've never come across. Made me wonder what it could be (hence my desperate South Wales guess) and if its a Railway, Market or Dock reference. However I'm not sure of that.

Tis a puzzler.

Monty

• 2 months later...

Hi Monty

I too saw this photo for sale on Ebay. I am 90% certain that it is not of a police officer and certainly not from a railway company. When I saw it and spoke with the seller, I concluded that it was a telegram boy. Hope that this helps. Steve

• 10 months later...

Hi Monty

I too saw this photo for sale on Ebay. I am 90% certain that it is not of a police officer and certainly not from a railway company. When I saw it and spoke with the seller, I concluded that it was a telegram boy. Hope that this helps. Steve

Hi Steve,

Firstly, many apologies for such a delayed reply from me. I have been a tad busy.

Secondly, many thanks. I think you are correct, a telegram boy would fit the bill.

Monty

:)