News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Paper worth more than metal: St. Helene brevets

azyeoman

I'm not familiar with this medal. The eagle most certainly looks contemporary and if you can read the hallmarks, they might indicate when the piece was minted. I suspect it has to do with a veteran's organization. It's very nicely minted; too bad it doesn't have an original ribbon as that would be a clue too.

I'm not familiar with this medal. The eagle most certainly looks contemporary and if you can read the hallmarks, they might indicate when the piece was minted. I suspect it has to do with a veteran's organization. It's very nicely minted; too bad it doesn't have an original ribbon as that would be a clue too.

Hi

Thanks for your help...I must ask someone who can tell me something about those hallmarks!!!!!!

I also have this french? buttoniére too !!!!!!

Can anyone identify or knows something about it?????

152mjdk.jpg

What's the reverse look like? The patina on the medal doesn't look old. My guess is it's a fraternal organization of some sort. It may not even be French as if you look at the central line, it's red, white a blue and in France the colors are blue, white and red. Some of the US medals have edging on their ribbons that are similar to this. Maybe someone else will know.

My g-g-g-g-grandfather was a Danish sea captain who was awarded the St Helena Medal. I know my mom's cousins still had it, along with the document, plus the transmittal letters from the embassy that came with it into the 1980s, but I believe they were destroyed when their house in Kansas was flooded. A shame...

• 4 weeks later...

As you can well imagine it depends on the dealer. I used to see them quite often, but for the last few years I've not seen any for sale. I've found some for as little as $40 US and seen some advertised for as much as 200 Sterling in the UK. None of there one I've seen were ever researched and so the process didn't increase due to it being a regiment or ship. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Reverse and inside top of box. I'm not sure what the first name is, but the surname appears to be "Lamedaille" and the date is the 13th of October 1857.

Allow me to correct....

It is a mention/statement and not a name. It says; "got the medal on the 13th of October 1857".

Cheers

|<ris

Portrait is a Belgian all right! Anymore info about it? Is it yours?

I suspected that, it was a belgian oficer!!!!

No it is not mine, is on sale on an antiquarian I found it interesting because of the fact that the portraited bears the St helen medal....

• 6 months later...
    • 5 months later...

Hi

Need a little help on bring some ligth on to this medal....I believe it is a napoleonic eagle but do not know of what period/empire, it is made of silver (with marks on the handle), but the rest I do not know!!!!Any help here???

2zq55q1.jpg

fxtax2.jpg

That appears to be one of the mid-19th century French medals made by various 'societes' that were honoring the 'debris' if the Grande Armee. See the book on the subject by Morerau poblished in 1987.

Thanks in advance....

I believe it's a Napoleonic veterans' officers' association badge. If you look at the recent Prince of Monacos' Napoleonic medal sale catalogue ( on line) there are a number of these shown. What are the medals' silver marks? Pre Second Empire badges are VERY Collectables (valuable).