News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A request for research assistance

Hello Gentlemen,

I would like to request some help in researching a Prussian Leutnant der Reserve in WW1. The officer's name is Emil Henkelmann. I believe he was in the West Prussian Pioneer Bataillion Nr. 17 in Danzig. I know he survived the war, was wounded, and earned the EK2 in 1914/15. Would it be possible for someone to find him in a Rangliste and post the page with his name on it? Failing that, would it be possible to tell me the decorations he won and his final rank at war's end? Thank you for your efforts. Cheers, Chris B.

Guest Rick Research

Henkelmann was commissioned some time between 1907 and 1912-- closer to the former than the latter from his place by seniority within the Battalion's reserve officers list.

Prussian Rank Lists never gave commission dates for reservists.

It would be possible to get that from either the Milit?r-Wochenblatt, or from one of the privately printed pre-war Reserve Officer only lists-- neither of which I have.

There are no wartime lists whatsoever for Prussian reserve officers.

Without a unit history, or finding him on one of the published WW1 award rolls (unlikely for his unit/Danzig home) is not likely.

He had no awards before the war.

Not in the 1935 Wer Ist's, not an SS officer before the war, no HHOX, not in "5,000 K?pfe."

Wow, that was fast! Thanks for the advice Rick. It never occurred to me that military protocol would be different for Reserves then for Regular Army, but if you think about it, it does make sense. I'll keep

"stoebern" in the direction you suggested. Cheers, Chris B.