News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Olympic Cross Question

I have a question regarding the 1st and 2nd class Olympic Crosses that I have. I have owned them for almost fifty years, but I've never been absolutely certain about them. I bought them from a dealer who had the best reputation and always offered to buy them back, at serveral times the original price as the years passed. I never accepted his offer, but now I am thinking about selling them and did not want to misrepresent them. What troubles me is the way the ribbon attaches to the medal. The attachment of the ribbon is not like all the ones that I've seen in person or in pictures. Rather than being all one piece sort of outgrowth or extension of the head of the eagle, these have a ring attached to the back of the eagle's head, then a small round ring is attached to that and in the case of the 1st class award, there is a decorative oval loop through that ring and then around the ribbon. I'm sorry that I'm not able to take photos. That would make it more clear. Does anybody have any examples of good crosses in which the attaching ring is not part an extension from the eagle's head? Perhaps a jeweler's piece?

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Steve

Steve,

without images of the pieces it's impossible to give you an opinion, especially as there have been copies of these pieces made for over 60 years.

Decent images of both sides should be able to give you an answer.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...