News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Your favourite Combat worn cross

We se so many bad conditioned crosses, badly stored, badly rusted.... but occasionally there is a "combat worn" Gem... one with good honest wear, that has not rusted since it was last worn...

Lets see yours, any period...

This was my wifes great grandfathers, infantry in WW1, then NSFK, Then in a Luftwaffe Feld Division, He was killed in December 42.

Its for me one of the nicest "been there" crosses have....

Reverse.

(It's so annoying that you can only upload such a limited file size per post here :angry:)

My opinion is that its not a repaired catch but part of the original manufacture.

This is a totally authentic piece in my collection for many years, the quality is outstanding and comes as it was made. I wish I knew who made it. It appears sometimes and I've seen similar before

regards

Alex

Hi Chris, the one I posted I am certain is not a repair, but as made, close examination shows the same level of manufacture as the original, the pin is stamped 800 as is the medal just below the clasp, not visible in the photo, there actually is no sign of wear so no repair, it also comes with it's original maroon case which is lined internally with maroon velvet etc. I have seen two further examples of exactly this configuration, which I believe to be by the same manufacturer whoever they were, one on a dealers web site and the second (and I'm fairly sure that it was on GMIC), the only difference is that the GMIC one had holes drilled thru all eight corners. I will try to take a higher res scan of the configuration

regards

Edited by Alex K

Hi Alex,

I stand corrcted. I think if there are the same crosses with the same fittings then it is probably that makers way of doing it.

I do imagine if someone sent a cross in to that maker for repair, he could probably have repaired it with his style of hook or hinge, giving a bit of "cross pollination"

Hi Chris, it's like a lot of these things you need to have it hand to evaluate and appreciate. Whilst not part of this thread, I will hopefully post closer images, if I can as I believe that one or some manufacturers actually used this configuration in their manufacture, so they may not all be repairs.

regards

Bingo!, I've knew I had it somewhere, found a download from the dealers web site, looks the same to me but different patination that's why I saved it. not very good image but still! Another one (not mine, repair or original? can't make out the makers name)

Edited by Alex K

That nails it :-)

I think even in the hand it is impossible to tell if some are repaired. If the jeweller who made crosses back then repaired a cross, it is very possible that his repair is the same quality as a newly finished one.

For some reason I doubt that a jeweller today would be able to do it as well.

looks fairly worn and battered! fair glob of solder there! noticed it's not a hook clasp, is that likely to be the original but came away and stayed on the pin, was then just re-soldered with a huge blow torch

Edited by Alex K

This one is a poor photo but my favourite.

Awarded for a rearguard action on 10.10.18 and received in Muenster, January 1921 after returning to Germany from a French POW camp in Rhiems. It's very worn from being attached to a tunic all through WWII.

Tony