News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian Military Order for Bravery Third Class

Hello Getlemen,

I got an convolute from an german officer who must have been soldier in

WW I and WW 2. Between this things there was this order.

Could You please be so kind to help me and answer on my questions.

- Wich order and class is this

- How many were awarded and

- do lists with the name from the recipients exist ?

The original case

This award is quite rare in third class.

It is 1941 version, specially created when Bulgaria got involved in WW2. As Bulgarian army rarery saw combat during WW2 - the awardings to Bulgarians were few. Good amount of these awards went to the ally Germany, you can find some 4th classes and Soldier grade awards to Germans.

It's unknown how many were awarded. There are no centralized lists in existance, perhaps there were some, but likely didn't survive the war and several regime changes in Bulgaria.

Hi all!

What I can add is that this order is the eldest order in Bulgaria, established by the first Bulgarian constitution from 1879 (Tirnovo constitution) and was created by the first prince Alexander von Battenberg on January 1st, 1880. It`s official day is on April 17th and from 1891 on May 6th. Up to 1909 was the senior Bulgarian order, replaced by the St.St. Cyril and Methodius order. The first grade was awarded only 5 times.

Extremely rare is the 3rd grade, but as Bulgarian armies fought against the Nazi armies between September 1944 and May 1945, there were a dozen of them awarded. after December 1946 the crown was replaced with a wreath (the republican version). There is an uncomplete list in the Royal papers in the Central state archive in Sofia, that is not published.

Hi all!

What I can add is that this order is the eldest order in Bulgaria, established by the first Bulgarian constitution from 1879 (Tirnovo constitution) and was created by the first prince Alexander von Battenberg on January 1st, 1880. It`s official day is on April 17th and from 1891 on May 6th. Up to 1909 was the senior Bulgarian order, replaced by the St.St. Cyril and Methodius order. The first grade was awarded only 5 times.

Extremely rare is the 3rd grade, but as Bulgarian armies fought against the Nazi armies between September 1944 and May 1945, there were a dozen of them awarded. after December 1946 the crown was replaced with a wreath (the republican version). There is an uncomplete list in the Royal papers in the Central state archive in Sofia, that is not published.

Hello Stormbringer,

thanks for this Information, do You known if there are names from german officers on this list ?

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dedehansen,

Did you get any Documents wwith this Group ?

New World gave a very nice information regarding 1941 Model of The Bulgarian Order for Bravery

Usually the Geman Officers and Sodiers had the Order given together with Docunent in German

This 3-rd Class 2-nd Grade maght have been given to a High ranking Officer -Oberst or General

During this period the highest given award was 3rd Class 1st Grade

Here are some examples

-3rd Class 1st Grade with a photo of German general Wearing it Sorry no Docunent or a name

4th Class Sodiers Cross with the Awarding Document to a German Sodier.

Graf

Regarding the Miniatures of this Order They are relatively common in the lower Classes and more rare in the higher Classes.

Yours is double sided and of very good quality, which makes it very rare.

I have few Miniatures, however all are one sided

Graf

Hi Dedehansen,

Did you get any Documents wwith this Group ?

New World gave a very nice information regarding 1941 Model of The Bulgarian Order for Bravery

Usually the Geman Officers and Sodiers had the Order given together with Docunent in German

This 3-rd Class 2-nd Grade maght have been given to a High ranking Officer -Oberst or General

During this period the highest given award was 3rd Class 1st Grade

Here are some examples

-3rd Class 1st Grade with a photo of German general Wearing it Sorry no Docunent or a name

4th Class Sodiers Cross with the Awarding Document to a German Sodier.

Graf

Hello Graf,

unfortunately I got only the pre 1939 medal bar, his cased Hungarian Order of

merit knights cross with swords and two minichains with in germany so called 57er Versions.

I´ve shown this things under ma post unknown hungerian order.

I think he must been a staff officer and not an unit commander because there is missing

a combat badge.

You are showing an officer with signature and wearing a third class first grade, but this is not a general

I think he is Oberstleutnat or Oberst, I can´t recognize the shoulder boards. Could You pealse show some better scan

from the signature and the shoulder boards ?!

Regards Andreas

Hi Andreas,

You might be right about the Rank of the Officer I will make a close up picture of the shoulder boards.

The handwritting is not a signature ..it says STALINGRAD.

Here is one more Document for Officer Class (4th Class 2nd Grade) to a German Officer

Regards

Graf

• 4 months later...