News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Box of Delights: And now for something completely different: Tin Collecting

Hard to find in good condition; rare to find the Chocolate inside. There were two brands of Chocolate and this one is Cadbury; the finest chocolate ever in the world as far as I'm concerned. It still smells lovely, but DO NOT EAT OLD CHOCOLATE. It is dangerous!!!

Edited by azyeoman

The latest in the long line for troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. These were available to the public from Fortnum & Mason's for quite some time, but are now sold out.

Edited by azyeoman

Hello Azyeoman......

Very nice tins.......

I have all three of the different chocolate tins with the chocolate in them......

The Princess Mary's Tin comes in nearly 20 versions that is each has a different content from a Sewing Kit, Hard Cand, Pipe and Tobacco, Lighter and Tobacco, Writing Paper and Envelopes etc...... A friend who has written a number of articles even has a sterling silver one that was made of the Indian Prince's......

Here are a couple of more threads on the forum:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/44925-scottish-regiments-tobacco-tin/

and th the Boer War Forum.....

http://www.angloboerwar.com/forum/13-miscellany/391-boer-war-keens-mustard-tin

BOER WAR CHOCOLATE TINS......

Just a few little notes about the Boer War Chocolate Tins that are often seen on ebay.....

After several designs were submitted the design by Fry's Chocolate and done by Barclay and Fry Ltd. Was accepted..... The design registration number is 349850.....

Only for issue to NCO's and Men, not for Officers.....

Original number of tins ordered 90,000 but increased to 120,000.....

Cadbury Tin: 81mm x 158mm x 22mm

Fry and Rowntree Tin: 92mm x 152mm x 22mm

Wooden crates were shipped to South Africa with 50 tins in each crate.....

Distribution to the troops was between the middle of January and the end of February 1900.....

Cost to mail full box home 5 shillings plus 4d to register plus 1d per ounce.....

3000 more were ordered from Fry for the defenders of Mafeking and Kimberly.....

Majority of tins given to Mafeking defenders were Cadbury.......

Fantastic booklet written and published in Durban by Lenaid Kebar tells the whole story and also occasionally shows up on eb.......

Mike

Thank you MIke!!! This is great info and thanks for the links. I'm sure the readers will enjoy being able to learn so much. Lucky you to have found three tins with contents. I feel happy to have one for the Boer War and one for the Great War. I've never seen one to the Indian troops but understand from Williamson that they had spices etc. in them. I've seen some Princess Mary tins with just the pencil that was secured in the tin via a piece of thin cardboard with two slanted slots in it. I understand that it was distributed to those who were wounded in the UK. Cheers and happy hunting for more tins. :cheers: