News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

anglo boer war website hack ?

Guest pikemedals

Guest pikemedals

i have a email from anglo boer website say that the site been hacked and all email addresses and passwords have all been stolen.cant see any thing on the site about this.email asking me for my email address and password. why ? ask for my email address if you sent it to my email in the frist place ?.has any more members from this site had this email sent to them.if i send my details i get a new password THINK NOT !. please let me know guys paul

Hello Pike.....

Here is the original email message......

It is not the Anglo Boer Website.......

I also think that Meurig is a member here also.....

Mike

#######################################################################################################

Hello

I am writing to inform you that The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902 website was hacked by a “benign” hacker. Nonetheless the hacker took the user names, emails and passwords.

Unfortunately this means that your user name, email and password may be used by malicious persons to try and gain access to your email account – especially gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail accounts.

I would urge you to review how you access your email account. If you use the same password as you do for The Register then it would be wise to change the password immediately. Click here for Guidance on secure passwords.

No financial information is stored on the website – the payment side, managed by Barclaycard EPDQ, is a separate website to which the hacker cannot access via The Register.

To change your details on The Register please email me at info@casus-belli.co.uk with your current user name and password and I will issue you a new unique user name and password. Additionally, by way of apology, I will add 20 credits to your account.

The website is currently off-line while additional security is added, when it comes back up I will email you.

Hacking is cyber space burglary, and The Register now joins the ranks of Twitter, NASA, the US military, AT&T, Sony Playstation and many others to suffer. Hackers are forever running programs to discover your email address and password.

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience and alarm this event may cause, please rest assured no financial data is stored on The Register.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Register.

Yours
    sincerely

Meurig Jones
    The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902

Guest pikemedals

hi mike is my email a scam. what it all about. i try log in with my email address no joy cant log in.so i just rejoin with the same email address paul

No I do not think it is a scam and have known Meurig for a number of years.......

I just sent him an email and he sent me a new password.......

The site is down now and he will let everyone know when it is back up and the security system has been changed......

Mike

Guest pikemedals

sorry meurig i thought it was a scam. i get scams all the time from paypal.just sign in from this link.they then got your password. i see there a new scam from ebay. that give you a second chance.how do they know that you bid on the item in the frist place, ebay must of been hacked to get that info on who bidding on what paul

sorry meurig i thought it was a scam. i get scams all the time from paypal.just sign in from this link.they then got your password. i see there a new scam from ebay. that give you a second chance.how do they know that you bid on the item in the frist place, ebay must of been hacked to get that info on who bidding on what paul

The seller knows who bid on his / her items at the end of the sale..... If the High bidder withdraws or there is a problem of some kind you can offer the under bidder a "Second Chance" at the item or you can relist it......

You just click on the second bidder and send them an email through ebay to ask them if they are still interested, I have used this many times.....

Mike

The seller knows who bid on his / her items at the end of the sale..... If the High bidder withdraws or there is a problem of some kind you can offer the under bidder a "Second Chance" at the item or you can relist it......

You just click on the second bidder and send them an email through ebay to ask them if they are still interested, I have used this many times.....

Mike

Usually it is someone who had a buddy bid it up... then when the buddy wins, they contact you and offer it at your highest bid because the other guy "pulled out of the sale"...

Although, to be fair... i was once the guy who pulled out....

There used to be an online medal auction site, and there was a QSA to the Pirtersburg light horse... i wanted to put a max bid of GBP270... and due to typo but GBP2700... i emailed the site 2-3 times telling them of my error... no response.... and i won it for about GBP1250... this was about 10 years ago.

I explained to the seller, he was OK, i still owe him a beer.... he offerd it to the under bidder, but the under bidder did not believe it for a minute of course... so he had to relist it at a later date.

Guest pikemedals

with this new ebay scam southernmedals was saying that he sold a medal on ebay.the under bidder got a email say that he got a second chance on the medal.the email never came from him.so if you pay you never get you medal as it was a scam. that way i said how do some one get that info on the underbidder. ebay is keeping that one quiet . it just make the site unsafe.when he sell a medal on ebay now. he said that he never offer a second chance on a item. paul

Meurig - you are very welcome as a member of GMIC. I hope you will be able to find time and join us with some posts ?

Take no notice of Chris - 'British War of Aggression' indeed ! A limited police action against the oppressors of the local

tribes...................... Mervyn