News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello I am new to the forum and I would like to show you the uniform I found in a friends attic a few days before Christmas this year. His father was a Private First Class in the US 2nd Infantry Division and came onto Omaha Beach D-Day X 2 From the story I am now getting from the man is his father was part of the group that liberated Leipzig-Schönefeld which was a subcamp of the Buchenwald concentration

camp. I guess his father found this uniform at the camp because some of the SS Soldiers that were working there changed out of their uniforms into civilian attire when the US forces were getting close. Anyway this uniform was sitting in my friends fathers attic for years. He said his brother and him used to dress up in the uniform when they were kids playing WAR. I hope you enjoy the photos and any comments or questions are welcome.

Good morning and welcome to the forum, devincu.

I have to say, you certainly know how to make an entrance. WOW!

The items that turn up in attacks....It never ceases to amaze me.

Any "SS" related items are hard enough to find, but a uniform to a member of the "Reichsführung SS" (RFSS) with the provenance that it has....

I hope your friend realizes what a rare find this is.

Thank you so much for taking time to get the camera out and posting the items.

Thanks guys I really dont collect SS stuff but I was glad to accept it from him as he was going to throw it in the trash! I would like to show you guys close ups of the uniform but I guess I am at my photo posting limit?? :banger:

Did I spot these on another forum? not that it matters just recognised them. I'm sure that they are a great find, and totally authentic. Well done for saving them from the trash can, I'm sure that many Waffen SS collectors would be very interested

regards

Thank you for the kind replies and ...Yes I have posted on other forums as well...In all my years of collecting I have never found such a complete and rare set. Unfortunately I am probably going to be forced to sell this wonderful set because of a surgery my wife is needing. The problem is that I want to be sure that the set stays together and is not split up so I only want to sell to a collector. I have the US vets uniform jacket (and photo of him) that brought it home also so I want to make sure it all stays together.

Hi It would be great if you could, unfortunately once on the open market, some will want this, others will want that etc. The reality is if you need to realise as much as you can financially, then you have to let your head rule your heart, sell for as much as you can get IMHO, because ind the end whoever buys it in one lot may well split it anyway

regards

it is very, very possible that whoever buys it splits it the next day :-(

I once turned down two offers on one of my favourite groups... finally a collector in Italy bought it... ohhhh how he was going to respect and cherish it .... 6 moths later it was sold by a german dealer, half the groups awards had been exchanged by others, the only original photo of the guy exchanged for a bunch of others....

I guess its like raising a kid... you can hope all goes well... but once they leave home.....

• 3 years later...
    On 2/8/2013 at 01:10, devincu said:

Hello I am new to the forum and I would like to show you the uniform I found in a friends attic a few days before Christmas this year. His father was a Private First Class in the US 2nd Infantry Division and came onto Omaha Beach D-Day X 2 From the story I am now getting from the man is his father was part of the group that liberated Leipzig-Schönefeld which was a subcamp of the Buchenwald concentration

camp. I guess his father found this uniform at the camp because some of the SS Soldiers that were working there changed out of their uniforms into civilian attire when the US forces were getting close. Anyway this uniform was sitting in my friends fathers attic for years. He said his brother and him used to dress up in the uniform when they were kids playing WAR. I hope you enjoy the photos and any comments or questions are welcome.

IMG_5064.JPG

IMG_5065.JPG

IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

IMG_5109.JPG

Awesome find.  Even better than mine!