News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Major Edward Pavitt, MC, South African Engineer Corps

I am after additional information about Major Edward "Ted" Pavitt, MC. He was O/C 11 Field Park Company, SAEC, in 1945 and involved in the "Springbok Bridge" over the River Po. He apparently captured some Germans while armed with only a torch. More detail about that incident in particular would be most welcome as well as a photograph of Maj Pavitt if anyone has one. Also any photographs of the Springbok Bridge, 11 Fd Coy and other units that were there would be welcome. Thanks!

Hi,

I have had a quick look in Vol 2 of the "Salute the Sappers" and there are a number of short references to him. An initial glance through the various photos in the book i have not found any depicting him, however a more studious look may deliver results.

A brief reference is made to the incident. It occurred in April. On the 12th April Capt Pavitt and Lt van Ryneveld undertook a dangerous recovery of three casualties from a mine field near Ravenna. The casualties were Cpl W Chant and two that went out to try and recover him, both Capt Burton and Sgt Lobban were also fatally wounded.

The following day Capt Pavitt became company commander of 11 Field Company and the unti moved to a position North of Alfonsine. At this site they began the construction of a 151m three pierced bridge to extend the so called Route 16 over Saterno. While moving forward to recon the site in dusk and "armed" only with a torch, he captured 12 Germans.

His Military Cross was gazetted on 13/12/1945

There is a photo of the "Springbok Bridge" on page 324, if interested let me know and I will give it a shot to scan it in. The bridge was approximately 305 metres long and was considered one of the finest achievements of the SAEC in Italy. Apparently the bridge was constructed in just 8 days working day and night by three companies under the respective command of Mjrs Pavitt, Thompson and Cowin.

I will go through a few more references and see if I can find anything else, however hope this is a start. Perhaps someone has a copy of the citation.

Regards

Gavin

Thanks! I've managed to get a copy of his citation from the National Archives in the UK, although it doesn't add much more than we already know. It says he "showed great determination and bravery during the approach battle to the river Po. Period 1 Apr 45 - 3 May 45" briefly mentions the minefield incident and capturing "10 germans" (but virtually no detail on how he did it) as well as some general comments about having "shown great initiative and resourcefulness and has displayed courageous leadership".

Yesterday I managed to find a photograph in a book "War in Italy" by Jack Cross. Although he is not indexed he appears in a photo with two other Sapper officers. I will collate what I have thus far and add some detail to the post in due course.

As a former Chief of Staff of the SA Army Engineer Formation and a member of the S.A. Sappers Association I had the privilege of meeting Ted and the other World War two sapper stalwarts on various occassions.

His obituary from the University of the Witwatersrand may add some more details for you:

" Pavitt, Edward (1918-2007)

Dr Edward Pavitt was born in 1918 in Vryburg in the Northern Cape. After completing his schooling at Kingswood College in Grahamstown, he enrolled for a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering at Wits. He completed his degree in 1940 and enlisted in the South African Engineer Corps with the lower rank of sapper. He obtained the rank of major and upon demobilization in 1946 was awarded the Military Cross for gallantry. He was also awarded four campaign medals. Once home he worked at various mines, until in 1961 he ended up at the head office of Union Corporation where he rose to the position of managing director and eventually executive chairman. He was still the chairman when it merged with General Mining, another giant of the South African mining industry, to become Gencor. During his later career he served on the boards of companies such as Eskom, Sasol, Anglo American, Highveld Steel, Haggie Rand and Alexander Forbes. Outside his business career he contributed significantly to South African society and industry working on the councils of Wits, Pretoria and Port Elizabeth Universities. He received many awards and accolades, including an
    honoury doctorate from Wits and was inducted into the Top five businessmen in 1983."

His uniform was on an auction in South Africa last year and was part of a friend of mine's collection:

"UNIFORMS AND WEBBING : Khaki 4 pocket tunic (dated Dec 1941 E. Pavitt) in near mint condition. Majors Rank to epaulettes. SAEC collars and all buttons present. Medal ribbon Military cross, 1939-45, Italy, Africa Stars and Africa service medal and mid emblem. With 20 pages of research. "Salute the Sappers" confirms award of Military cross as well as two incidents, one in which he captured 12 Germans armed with only a torch, and another in which he recovered casualties from a mine field. Post war served as Chairman on board of Gencor."

Edited by sabrigade