News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hindenburg Cross in Zinc

Hallo Sergio,

I too have one of these Crosses — mine is without swords. The finish looks just like yours, but is unmounted. It is non-magnetic of course, with no maker mark.

I really never knew what to think about it — genuine or fake? The arms of a normal Cross are about 1.4mm thick, while the arm of this zinc cross is 2.17mm thick.

MfG, Gar

Here are scans of front & back.

Scan1_zpsffc951e1.jpeg

Scan2-4_zpse98962b9.jpeg

To me it looks like a base metal with an overcovering which has in time lost or is losing it's original "Overcoat" hence the Bubbling I suspect that the original was base metal ie Iron and given a light covering. I have one in my collection, whre all the covering has disappeared and I have an iron medal

I think the 'base metal' theory is probable in my case, because some of the overcoating seems to be applied too thinly.

The integral ring is also base metal, while the ribbon ring is a regular type and colour.

What about the thickness of this Cross compared with the normal issued ones (1.4mm vs. 2.17mm) — it is not as well made either, which might be explained by post 1942 manufacturing priorities — anyone with comments?

Gar