News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

some help needed identifying medals

Lawrence

Although I have been collecting British and Colonial ODM for 35 years , Middle Eastern medals are a whole new field to me.

The images are from a recent purchase that came as one lot.

Some I have managed to identify, other not

1. Large possibly silver, 60mm diameter both sides are convex. ?????

2. 1948 Egyptian war with Israel. 1st variety double sided.

I have a couple of these already this one is slightly larger, thicker and heavier than my other examples, strangely all the ones I have purchased have come with the same ribbon, which is not the ribbon normally associated with the award (purchased from different countries, different sellers oveer the years). Wonder if this was an alternative ribbon?

3. The Obverse is identical to the Iraq General Service medal 1926, however the reverse has different Arabic script to any images I have found. Also not sure about the ribbon. ???

​4. Unidentified...is it the Egypt: Sinai Returned medal ???

5. Egypt 1973 Yom Kippur medal.

​This one is slightly gilded in appearance and has a silvered center, others I have are darker in appearance with a dull centre.

The large silver ribbon device was mounted on the medal.(8)

6. pin badge ??

7. cap badge ??

8. Large silver ribbon device that came mounted on the ribbon, I can find no reference to this anywhere ????

Many thanks in advance for any help.

I am now only missing a couple of Arabic medals to complete my collection of Arab-Israeli war medals. I have a huge collection of Israeli and Palestine related and Jewish Insignia that I will post images of at a later stage.

Lawrence,

That's a familiar looking grouping! ;) Glad it went to someone here on the forum. A few comments on the Egyptian ones:

1) Egyptian, Canal Zone something. The last word eludes me.

2) The ribbon is definitely not the original, probably an unrelated ribbon from a completely different medal.

4) 25th Anniversary of the 1973 War Medal -- see Owain's great pics here: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/55357-egyptian-navy-vice-admiral-mohab-mamish/?hl=%2Bsinai+%2Bmedal

5) The device on this is new to me, and pretty bizarre. Possibly denoting an award to a paratrooper???

Congrats on a nice grouping.