News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The fabulous collection of the 1911 (Delhi)

• Replies 116
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS : about the order, I agree it is quite different. Sorry that my pics are not precise enough... I will have to go back there !!!!

Will be in Delhi this summer, maybe we can meet up?

:beer:

That site, by the way, has not been updated much on account of some major information theft issues. Have been working with Tony McClenaghan regarding the new, expanded edition of his book, due from Spink sometime this century (?).

While we are off-topic but on the topic :P here is the parallel order for Hindus, the Order of Krishna:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Will be in Delhi this summer, maybe we can meet up?

:beer:

While we are off-topic but on the topic :P here is the parallel order for Hindus, the Order of Krishna:

Ed,

Where are these excellent pics of orders coming from (if it is not indiscreet...) ? Are these orders in your collection ? :rolleyes:

Ch.

Some are in my collection, some (alas) are not. The Holy Saint and Krishna sets came up for auction in London recently, at a very low reserve price. I assumed they'd go astronomical and sat out on those lots. They went unsold.

IPB Image

Others are in my custody, see

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2784

or, if you can stand more and don't mind signing up for yet another online forum, see also

http://sagongs.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=30

:jumping::jumping:

Some are in my collection, some (alas) are not. The Holy Saint and Krishna sets came up for auction in London recently, at a very low reserve price. I assumed they'd go astronomical and sat out on those lots. They went unsold.

IPB Image

Others are in my custody, see

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2784

or, if you can stand more and don't mind signing up for yet another online forum, see also

http://sagongs.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=30

:jumping::jumping:

Ed,

Impressive !!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Ch.

Indian state of Patiala.

The Order of Merit (Nishan-i-Iftikhar) - Officer. Civil division. Breast badge.

With the right ribbon... :P

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Right! But you have to be careful not to confuse it with the Jaipur State's Medal for Silver Jubilee of Manahara Man Singh II, 1947 -- For the silver jubilee of Lieutenant-General H.H. Saramad-i-Rajaha-i- Hindustan Raj Rajendra Shri Maharajadhiraja Maharaja Sawai Shri Sir Man Singh II Bahadur, Maharaja of Jaipur, GCSI, GCIE (b. 21 August 1911, r. 7 September 1922-24 June 1970, d. 24 June 1970). McClenaghan, p. 164, no. 163.

Got a whole roll of the Jaipur ribbon and thought I'd lucked into the Patiala one.

Right! But you have to be careful not to confuse it with the Jaipur State's Medal for Silver Jubilee of Manahara Man Singh II, 1947 -- For the silver jubilee of Lieutenant-General H.H. Saramad-i-Rajaha-i- Hindustan Raj Rajendra Shri Maharajadhiraja Maharaja Sawai Shri Sir Man Singh II Bahadur, Maharaja of Jaipur, GCSI, GCIE (b. 21 August 1911, r. 7 September 1922-24 June 1970, d. 24 June 1970). McClenaghan, p. 164, no. 163.

Got a whole roll of the Jaipur ribbon and thought I'd lucked into the Patiala one.

Ed,

Just have to buy a few more of these medals... but naked :P .

Ch.

15c.

The British Order of the Star of India.

Companion's badge.

Other pic of the same Order.

The quality of this Order is absolutely :jumping::jumping::jumping: . But so difficult to show in such a snapshot...

Ch.

• 3 weeks later...

And to complete the exhibition frame #1, some Indian States medals I can't identify :

Indian state of Patalia

(?) Medal.

Ed, this medal does not seem to correspond to any of the Patalia medals referenced in your website... Even the Maharajah's name does not seem to appear in your list... Any idea ? I'm sure you will ID it!!! :rolleyes:

Another wrong ribbon, I guess...

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

15c.

The British Order of the Star of India.

Companion's badge.

Other pic of the same Order.

The quality of this Order is absolutely :jumping::jumping::jumping: . But so difficult to show in such a snapshot...

Ch.

Yes, the CSI (Companion of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of India) is a lovely piece of the jewler's craft. As these are usually unnamed (I have seen two CISs and ane KCSI set privately named) and unattributable. A lovely lovely "thing", though with scant history. Yet, as "things" go, . . .

:jumping:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

The Order of the Indian Empire.

Companion's Badge. 1st type.

Ch.

This type 1 CIE (Companion of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire) with "INDIA" on the petals, only awarded when the order was a single-class order (1877-86) is also especially nice. Yet it is especially difficult to scan to make all the colors look right. You really just have to see this one "in the flesh" to appreciate it! As with the CSI, usually unnamed, unattributed, and historically isolated, but also nice eye-candy despite that.

And to complete the exhibition frame #1, some Indian States medals I can't identify :

Indian state of Patalia

(?) Medal.

Ed, this medal does not seem to correspond to any of the Patalia medals referenced in your website... Even the Maharajah's name does not seem to appear in your list... Any idea ? I'm sure you will ID it!!! :rolleyes:

Another wrong ribbon, I guess...

Ch.

This one is a bit of a puzzle, even for Tony McClanaghan. I have notes on it somewhere. I can't read the legend from your photo, Christophe, do you have any notes on it?

The prevailing theory is that it is a Patiala agricultural exhibition medal (these things existed in great multitudes and whre excluded -- rightly or wrongly -- from Tony's book), but we need to know for sure. (Ask me in a few weeks!)

Yes, the CSI (Companion of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of India) is a lovely piece of the jewler's craft. As these are usually unnamed (I have seen two CISs and ane KCSI set privately named) and unattributable. A lovely lovely "thing", though with scant history. Yet, as "things" go, . . .

:jumping:

Ed,

Excellent order... and scan!!! :jumping::jumping: Is this wonderful piece in your collection ? If yes, congrats!! :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

This type 1 CIE (Companion of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire) with "INDIA" on the petals, only awarded when the order was a single-class order (1877-86) is also especially nice. (...) You really just have to see this one "in the flesh" to appreciate it! (...).

Ed, thanks for the comments.

I saw it "in the flesh" and greatly appreciated it, even if the 1911 display is not in an easy place to take time to admire them (too much light, hung quite high, and people working around...).

Ch.