News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The fabulous collection of the 1911 (Delhi)

Ed, thanks for the comments.

I saw it "in the flesh" and greatly appreciated it, even if the 1911 display is not in an easy place to take time to admire them (too much light, hung quite high, and people working around...).

Ch.

And the cabinets locked. Have started writing letters to have them find the keys before I get to Delhi. :P:beer:

• Replies 116
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is a bit of a puzzle, even for Tony McClanaghan. I have notes on it somewhere. I can't read the legend from your photo, Christophe, do you have any notes on it?

The prevailing theory is that it is a Patiala agricultural exhibition medal (these things existed in great multitudes and whre excluded -- rightly or wrongly -- from Tony's book), but we need to know for sure. (Ask me in a few weeks!)

Ed,

Here is what I can read from my pic (I have tried to respect the exact wording): "His Highness Maharaja Dirha(xx)ra Singh Muhindeb Bahadur (xx) Patalia".

Each X = one letter.

Of course, this is probably not correct, but it is how it seems to be stamped on the medal.

Ch.

The Indian State of Kapurthala.

(?) medal.

The inscription on the medal says : "H.H. the Maharaja i-Rajgan Singh of Kapurthala".

Again, probably a wrong ribbon.

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Year, definitiely wrong ribbon. Not clear which one this is, as many of the medals of Major-General H.H. Farzand-i-Dilband Rasikh- al-Iqtidad-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia, Raja-i-Rajagan, Maharaja Sir Jagatjit Singh, Bahadur, Maharaja of Kapurthala, GCSI, GCIE, GBE (b. 1872, r. 1877-17 June 1949, d. 17 June 1949) used the same obverse (from after he -- horrors!! -- shaved and took up with French "ladies").

I GUESS that one is his Diamond Jubilee Medal, 1937 (McClenaghan, pp. 189-90, no. 187).

The Indian State of Kapurthala.

Diamond Jubilee Medal - 1937 (?).

The inscription on the medal also says : "H.H. the Maharaja i-Rajgan Singh of Kapurthala".

Except if the obverse is different, seems to be the medal you posted in post #80.

Again, wrong ribbon.

Ch.

This ends the content of the exhibition frame #1.

There is also a 22nd medal of the Indian State of Kapurthala, but unfortunately, I have not a sufficiently good pic of it to post. Seems BTW to be identical to the medal #21... as we can't ahve a view of its reverse.

Ch.

Exhibition frames #2 to 6 of the 1911 bar are shown in posts #15 to 19 of this thread.

I don't plan to post pics of them, as they are more often seen here and there.

If any of you wishes me to post any close-up pic of the orders and medals displayed in these frames, please, feel free to ask. I'll do it with the greatest pleasure :cheers: .

Cheers.

Ch.

And, inside the Imperial Hotel in Delhi, there is not only the 1911 Bar... Just have a look at what one can see in the lobby or the corridors...

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

And, inside the Imperial Hotel in Delhi, there is not only the 1911 Bar... Just have a look at what one can see in the lobby or the corridors...

Ch.

Actually, the prints on the walls throughout the hotel are more wonderful and valuable than even the medals. (Though I of course have a bias in this regard toward the medals.)

Or this...

Ch.

General H.H. Sri Raj Rajeshwar Maharajadhiraj Narendra Sawai Maharaja Shiromani Sir Ganga Singhji Bahadur, Maharaja of Bikaner, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, KCB, KiH (b. 1880, r. 1887-2 February 1943, d. 2 February 1943).

Actually, the prints on the walls throughout the hotel are more wonderful and valuable than even the medals. (Though I of course have a bias in this regard toward the medals.)

Ed,

Are you sure you are not saying this about the medals, only because... you already have all of them in your collection...??? ;):P:rolleyes:

Ch.

• 1 month later...