News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Loewenfeld Cross with Paul Küst maker mark removed

I just picked up a group with a Loewenfeld Cross II class and on the reverse, the maker's name (Paul Küst) has been deliberately removed.

Why I am posting this is because this is not an isolated case. I've seen other Loewenfeld Crosses, both 1st and 2nd class, with the maker's name removed in a similar way. Weitze had a 1st class with a similar defacing of the maker's mark, for sale last year. Other collectors with whom I have spoken have seen the same phenomenon on other crosses.

Paul Küst was a prolific maker and supplier of awards, veteran's badges etc., including the Schlageter Shield. So, why is it that only some Loewenfeld Crosses have the maker name removed, but no other items from this firm?

Does anyone here know why this was done?

Hi Brian,

So Jim sold his medal bar to you? Damn, I'm envy!!! :love: This is a great addition to your collection.

As for your question--it was already asked twice on German and Russian forums, without any serious answers...

Yes it's a great bar. At least the questions has been asked before which means that others have seen this on other Loewenfeld crosses. It is a weird mystery.