News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A few soldiers that I`ve researched.....

• 3 months later...
    Guest Evelyn

Capt John Martin MC

Hi there

Have you a special interest in John Martin? He is one of the names I am researching on my local Roll of Honour and I had very little on him until I stumbled on this site last night. Thanks for posting it. Just this morning I discovered that during the Great War his family lived in the house next door to the one I now live in (although my house was not standing then). If I find out anything else about him I will let you know.

Thanks again

Evelyn

Guest trentman

Tony

Not being used to these forums I have made errors already. Perhaps you can indicate to me how to easily reply to posted itemss

The diary of Pvt Dore 1/7th Sherwodd Forresters is of very great interest to me as I have been researching my wifes Grandfather for some 2 years. He also arrived in France at the same time, date in records given as 27.10.1915, must have been known to each other.

His name Lesley Eley number 4586. Served with battalion until 28.01.1918, transferred to 1/5th Sherwood Foresters until 29.05.1918 then to officer cadet school in Blighty. Survived the war, must of been one of the few to do so from that Oct 1915 draft.

The diary fills in so much of the detail, that the battalion diary does not give, particularly details of private soldiers.

I hope that the diary contains more of the same and will be willing to pay for photo copies of same, if that is possible.

Perhaps this can be aranged. The daughter of Lesley Eley(My mother in Law) is still alive and of course very interested in the research.

Bests Wishes

Ray

Edited by trentman

Guest trentman

I have only today come across the remarkable information posted by Tony on the 1/7th Sherwood Foresters.

Does anyone else have any info re this battalion.

Edited by trentman

Hello Ray,

This is Andrew Hesketh's internet site http://www.derbyshirelads.uwclub.net/ it is full of info on the Sherwoods and has the full contents of Sid's diary. Andrew is is a very helpful bloke and I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you asked him any questions.

If you would like me to send you a CD with scans let me know by PM.

Re your posts: It looks like you've got the problem sussed now.

Tony

Guest Andrew Hesketh

Andrew is is a very helpful bloke and I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you asked him any questions.

Grrrr violent.gif

No, seriously. Q's related to the Sherwood Foresters always welcome. If I can't answer I probably know someone who can!