News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Senior British Police Officers Button

Please can anyone advise as to what this is? It came with a lot of Hertfordshire Constabulary badges. Is it in fact a police button at all?

Approx. 9/10 of an inch in diameter. Two piece construction with silver(ed) face and brass back. Marked "FIRMIN LONDON".

Grateful for any help re. this item.

Again thank you to those who have replied with information.

Most odd is the fact that only yesterday, after trying for several days without any success at identification, I opened a book in a nearby bookshop only to find an illustration of a tunic showing this type of button!

Have also managed to source a listing of Firmin backmarks which places it mid-C20th.

Lee

These buttons are common to all Police ranks in England & Wales which are of the level of Association of Chief Police Officers. In the Met Police this is the rank of Commander and above and in the County Forces, Assistant Chief Constable and above. Ranks below this will have buttons which are attributed to their particular force, whereas ACPO ranks have commonality across the country. A few years ago I saw a set of these in silver in a presentation box, from the early fifties, I wish I had bought them ......

Not sure what the metal content of this is. Certainly not chrome and looks very much like silver, though it seems unlikely that there would be a brass back???

On the other hand, If plated, it has worn very well over a period of some 60 years.

Probably silver.I like your old watchman's picture as your avatar. The big candle lantern should get Brian's attention.

These watchmen were always called 'Charlies' - since King Charles 2nd established them in London in the 1660's. He

would also have carried a rattle - to raise the alarm - and his stick was longer then this, in fact a stave. Mervyn