News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Insanely rare WW1 German items...

• Replies 65
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am afraid i can't give you good numbers, but my mentor -

the source of it for me - supposed that it might be in the

50-200 range. these were for family, general staff, perhaps

foreign dignitaries..... really very little info.

as to price.... i can't even say what i paid for it, as it was a

Christmas present a number of years ago. if anyone has an idea,

i'd certainly love to hear it!

i would suspect there are precious few that don't go from one collection

to another and never see the light of day.

joe

posted on MCF and, perhaps, here awhile back....

cananyone identify the black, almost glasslike

material that sandwiches the silver.

should be the same material as the frauen u.

jungfrauen cross.

thanks,

joe

The Frauen und Jungfrauen is enamel. The silver cross was enameled, the emamel polished, and then the details chased in the exposed silver. Here's an extreme closeup of the FuJK showing the junction of the silver and enamel. Note the fine scratches from polishing.

• 2 months later...

That is indeed a byooootiful cross.

Not that I have any doubts, but is there some kind of documentry proof that these are Wilhelm awards pieces as opposed to very expensive private purchase pieces?

Old Willy spent the whole war dishing out crosses, so there must have been a special criteria for these, and the top shelf people are widely photo documented as wearing normal crosses (Crown prince etc).

All the best

Chris

I'd vote vor Chris' theory of high-key private purchase items as long as the Kaiser had many other special jewels and gifts like his Geschenkbroschen, but would of course agree to any other period evidence...

Gilles

I think some royals would want a better EK than the commoners were getting. Look at Herman Goering and the Galland diamonds affair. Just like animal haouse- all pigs are equal. Some pigs are more equal that others.

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

Get your Lippe (-Detmold or Schaumburg-) house orders (Ehrenkreuz) and non-WW1 merit medals nowwwwwwwwwww, before the Rolls books come out at the end of this year.

Thou hast been warn-ed. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

that onyx ek is just swell! :jumping::jumping:

if one were to own just a single top example of this award, this would be IT.

runner up would be a glass-core specimen. there was a jeweler from dresden who made that type, if i recall correctly.

any chance of a view of the case, joe?

please?

when I started collecting ten years ago - I ran into a onyx cored EK1... it had a ding on one of the arms - but it was a very nice example still.... I was still in school so the $200 they guy wanted for it was a bit much for me to spend.... :banger:

• 4 years later...
    Anyone have anything new for X-Mas?

The early round water can for my MG a present to myself.

Chip

I have a Salzbeutel dated 1914 JR92 I'll take photo's when I'm on my feet again I'm hobbling around on one foot at the moment.

Merry Christmas to all

Eric

Eric,

I would like to see both. My old friend (now departed) and MG owner, Paul Boyer (WWII pilot in the south pacific) had a round water can. I think it went with his MG08 when he started breaking up his collection (when he was in his early 80s).

Never have found a Salzbeutel, but it hasn't been for lack of trying. Probably the only imperial kit item that I have never had the chance to get.

Chip

Edited by Chip

• 1 month later...

OK,

Here's something that should be extremely common. Issued to every soldier to see field service and yet this one that turned up on ebay this past year, is the first Salzbeutel that I have seen in over 40 years of collecting imperial German. Anybody else got one? love.gif

Chip

Ah Chip

Finally dug it out unfortunately its for a soldbuch think?, sorry mate.

Eric

• 3 months later...