News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

I have here one IGS with the "Waziristan 1919-21" clasp and I just downloaded his MIC from NA (I do not have interest to keep that medal and I already sticked it up on sale, so if someone feels like they do not want to share information because that, please do not). It is totally new source and some things I would like to query.
    Mainly what the heck is the "Clasps to War Medal"??? Is it IGS clasp code under there instead???

Also I am not able to read out his full address. Looks like he lived in Prince Edward Island in Canada and claimed his awards 1924?

Also I wasnt able to find his full name - MIC and London Gazette shows only W.T.TURNER and his rank was Captain.

Just a little puzle to me - would be great to learn something new here!

Kind Regards,

Noor

220360210e2cba_l.jpg

Good Evening Noor......

Mainly what the heck is the "Clasps to War Medal"??? Is it IGS clasp code under there instead???

At one time there was the idea of issuing clasps the same as the Queen's South Africa Medal but it was later decided that due to the expence and the administrative nightmare it would be impossible to do so the whole idea was scrapped.....

There have been lists printed but I cannot remember where.....

You will see the odd miniature War medal that was issued to the Navy with bars on it......

They had published the list of what bars would be issued and the jewelers thinking that they would have the jump on everyone had some made.....

Take a look at this article one for the Navy......

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/british_war_medal_1914_1918_1920.htm

I understand that there would have been over 60 different bars for the Army but am not sure and some medals would have had up to 20 different bars.....

Mike

Thanks! First at all this medal goes now with the original ribbon, that I picked up today (no extra cost :lol: ).

Also some more details about him and his service:

William Tyrie Turner (Born 4 September 1897 - xxxx)

William was born in Dublin 4 September 1897 as a son of John Tyrie Turner (Pharmaceutical Chemist) and Isabella Turner. They lived 52 Upper Sackville Street (now O'Connell Street!!!), Dublin.
    Thomas was baptised on the 6 October 1897 St.Thomas church.
    Based on 1911 Census he studied in Cleobury Mortimer, UK at the Agricultural Commercial College.
    During the war he commissioned to the Royal Irish Regiment as a 2nd Lieutenant (LG 1916). Lieutenant (LG1917). Acting Captain (LG1918).

Indian Army List, January 1919, pp. 460-62, 1389
    Lt. William Tyrie Turner, 2/95th Russell's Infantry (previously Royal Irish Regiment)
    Commissioned 5 June 1917 (9 months forfeited for seniority under I.A.O. 511 of 1917)
    Appointed to Indian Army 27 April 1919
    Date of Rank 5 June 1918

Indian Army List January 1921, pp. 322c 1457
    Lt. (acting Captain) William Tyree Turner, 2/113th Infantry, attached 94th Infantry (previously Royal Irish Regiment)
    Commissioned 5 June 1917 (9 months forfeited for seniority under I.A.O. 511 of 1917)
    Appointed to Indian Army 27 April 1919
    Date of Rank 5 June 1918

(thank you to the person with the IA source :))

Applied medals 1924. Emigrated to PEI, Canada:
    Grahame Rd
    Emerald
    Prince Edward Island
    Canada

He was entitled:

- Victory medal
    - British War medal
    - GSM "South Persia"
    - IGS "Waziristan 1919-21"

22041115acd13f_o.jpg