News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thieves steal entire medal collection of Gurkha family who served British Army

JPL

Om Gurung, his dad Bil bahadur, his grandfather Shirprasad and his great-grandfather Suklal - who received the George Medal posthumously - have been fighting and dying for the British since 1886.

Om, 55, received an MBE from the Queen in 1997 for his services as the last Gurkha regimental sergeant major during the handover of Hong Kong.

Through five generations the Gurungs had amassed an impressive 50 medals for their services in conflicts ranging from the two World Wars to conflicts in Burma and Malaysia.

But now Om, a former Regimental Sergeant Major with the Gurkha Signals, has been left devastated after thieves raided a cabinet displaying the medals in his Crossed Khukris restaurant in Nuneaton, Warks.

Read the complete article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/9902646/Thieves-steal-entire-medal-collection-of-Gurkha-family-who-served-British-Army.html

Jean-Paul

A very sad but unfortunately common occurence, as they are fairly unique combinations when they are "Fenced" any decent dealer will spot them and inform authorities. it is unfortunately a sign of the times, someone visiting the establishment realises the potential "Monetery value" and re-visits in the small hours.When I wall display items from my medal collection I purchase a cheap modern copy, of my original, many sites now produce them, that way they are still on view, any a##hole that pinches them is in for a suprise when he tries to get rid of them, my originals are still safe, in this case it is sentimental and not monetery, I hope he gets them back intact

Edited by Alex K