News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hirik, Ihave looked for information about this vessel for a long time, but until now the only thing that I know about this small ship is that it was the "Flottentender Hela" until 30/12/1938 when was renamed to "Flottentender Gazelle", I have no pictures of it.

Guest Rick Research

Well, I hope this will make you even happier with this nice clock (does it still run?)--

According to Erich Gr?ner, Peter Mickel, Franz Mrva, Dieter Jung, and Martin Maass, "German Warships 1815-1945, Volume 2: U-Boats and Mine Warfare Vessels" (1985 British translation of the German edition)--

"Gazelle" was originally the 1919 " M135," (renamed on 2 January 1939 from "Hela") and was renamed AGAIN on 1 October 1940-- so it was "Gazelle" for not quite 2 years!!!!-- to "M 535."

It served as a minesweeper for the rest of the war, and was kept on in the German Minesweeping Administration after the surrender in 1945. But on 8 February 1946 it was claimed by the Soviet Union as war reparations and became part of the Soviet Navy

renamed AGAIN as "Desna" and AGAIN in 1951 as "Venta." It was finally scrapped some time in the 1960s.

SIX names, TWO navies... and more than 40 years of service!

Hinrik, I have the link to the picture, thanks.

Rick, thanks for your information, a long and intense history for this small ship.

Clock now runs perfectly afther the perfect work of one of the best watchmakers of Spain than requested to Junhans some original pieces to repair it.

• 2 years later...

Well, I hope this will make you even happier with this nice clock (does it still run?)--

According to Erich Gr?ner, Peter Mickel, Franz Mrva, Dieter Jung, and Martin Maass, "German Warships 1815-1945, Volume 2: U-Boats and Mine Warfare Vessels" (1985 British translation of the German edition)--

"Gazelle" was originally the 1919 " M135," (renamed on 2 January 1939 from "Hela") and was renamed AGAIN on 1 October 1940-- so it was "Gazelle" for not quite 2 years!!!!-- to "M 535."

It served as a minesweeper for the rest of the war, and was kept on in the German Minesweeping Administration after the surrender in 1945. But on 8 February 1946 it was claimed by the Soviet Union as war reparations and became part of the Soviet Navy

renamed AGAIN as "Desna" and AGAIN in 1951 as "Venta." It was finally scrapped some time in the 1960s.

SIX names, TWO navies... and more than 40 years of service!

Hello all, I have found some pictures from a Gazelle crew man, and in some of the pictures you can see a sign dated in 1943, so how is this possible if the vessel was renamed in 1940?

A very nice clock, may i ask from which material the white disk with the cyphers and the ships name is made from ?

Best regards

CSForrester

That is what i meant to see. And you are shure that the dial is not a modern print added to a civilian/merchant ship - clock ? The material, the sharpless print, the name of the ship ....... very uncommon. There are a lot of added dials arround ........................ :unsure:

Regards

CSForrester

IMO is a original one, I found it many years ago in an antic shop and it was repaired by one of the best watchmakers of Spain. If this vessel was a pre-WW2 one, is normal than when she was renamed in 1939 the dial of the ship clock was covered with KM-new name. Anyway I know that is not the usual Km clock,but I had never hear about Gazelle bfore, and is difficult for me imagine that somebody make a fake of a vessel as rare as this one.

Hello Ricardo,

the chronometer is shure a nice Junghans and the clock-maker did a good job. But i see no chance for the dial. I have seen a lot of Kriegsmarine-chronometers - but never with a paper-/cardboard dial, always with metal dials with etched or stamped eagle and registration-number and with arabic numbers not roman.

This is a nice phantasy-product. Basic an english or american dial (see "F" and "S" for faster and slower), in combination with an eagle used on documents and the name with " ".

Why Gazelle ? Graf Spee or Gorch Fock would produce a lot of doubts at once, i think.

I think you should post it in the Wehrmacht Award Forum to hear more opinions.

Best Regards

NavalMark

Hi, I have also seen many KM clock, and you are right about the dial, is rare. About the F-S is very usual in the german stopwatches and clocks movements, so IMO is not rare. The 99,9999999999% of the people don't know nothing about Fottentender Gazelle, so is almost impossible that nobody used it to faked a clock. When I told you that one of the best watchmakers of Spain repared it, I mean that he told me that for him it was original, even the dial.

I'm happy with it, but anyway thanks for our comments.

Edited by KM-SPAIN

Out of curiosity Eduardo, could you post an image of the clock's movement, that is, the internal hardware? I do not think it is very difficult to take the case off so we could look at that part of this interesting puzzle.

If it is a problem, not a big deal, but clock movements can be keys to resolving such issues.

John

Hi John, I'm sure that is not difficult to open it to show the movement, but you have to do by the front side and take apart the dial, so I prefer do not touch it too much because I'm not sure how to do it. The watchmakers that repared it told me that it hs a Junhansmovement from the 20s and he asked to Junhans for some original pieces to repair it.