News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A real German Hero's Shoulder boards...

You can maybe win a knights cross for a Tank action, and be a brave man... but you can also be executed for treason, and be a Hero...

It may be a touchy point for some, But Hans Oster was working from the mid 30s to put a stop to Hitler, and avoid germany rushing into a war that almost destroyed it.... Hard to say he was not a hero of sorts....

He was hanged in April 1945 at Flossenburg along with his friend Admiral Canaris...

Here are his Reichswehr Shoulderboards...

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Congrats Chris. As you know I missed the documents in the same sale you alerted me to which went to the Dresden Military Museum. Thanks anyway.

I just picked up asigned a first edition "To the Bitter End" by Hans Bernd Gisevius for $80 so I will call that my consolation prize. I will update my July 20 string when it arrives.

I have a great interest in the Canaris group so thanks for posting these. Oster is indeed a controversial figure, betraying his country in an act of conscience in favour of a wider duty to western civilization. In my books a hero but if his act of defiance had cost tens of thouands of German casualties, I would sympatise with those who thought differently.

Colin

• 3 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Great Stuff Chris. The collar tabs are Bundeswehr though, right?

Right. Reichswehr Litzen for officers had a grey-green base colour. These collar-tabs are Bundeswehr. It is the so-called "geblätterte Doppellitze" (I don´t know an english word for "geblättert") on crimson base colour for General-staff-officers (Generalstabsoffiziere). In the Bundeswehr first they had a grey base-colour, later this crimson one.

Edited by The Prussian

Hi,

the Boards came out of the mixed family group of his son Achim Oster, a WW2 officer and NATO General. Some of the Achim Oster stuff and Hans Oster stuff was mixed so these tabs were sold with his fathers stuff so i assumed they were sleeve thingies, i will keeping them together or they would be lost forever. :-)