News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bugaria- Order of St. Alexander ?

Andreas it is the Silver Merit Cross with Swords of the Order of St. Alexander, unfortunately it is difficult to suggest an exact time for issue, although given that the silver appears to be of good quality probably pre 1918.

Paul

Hi Andreas,

This is 6-th Class of The Order of St Alexander with swords in the middle without a crown .... missing ribbon (Red, Triangular Austian type)

This is war time -Military Division (the swords in the middle) -Perhaps was awarded to the German Officer during WW2

Because it is 6-th Class without crown the German Officer was with a low Rank.

Since you got it with a group of other odrers form WW2 period -it is very likely King Boris III Model 1918-1943

It is very likely by German or Austrian manifacturer

I cannot see any Marks therfore it is very likely silvered base metal

Regards

Graf

Medal looks like WWI manufacture. Here's same award with ribbon and case.

Just because it came with German awards from WWII period doesn't mean it's made during Tsar Boris time. It could have been awarded to a German during, it was common practice.

Thanks Gentlemen,

now I know which ribbon is missing and what I have to look for.

Is it also possible that it was awarded to an senior NCO, all Bulgarian

orders that I have seen which were awarded to german officers had enamel.

My hope was that there were different modells, this one with Date 1878 ?

Andreas

The design stayed the same for most of the time this award existed.

One major change was when the crown was replaced with the wreath (when the regime changed from monarchy/regency to republic), but that doesn't apply to your award w/o crown.

• 3 years later...

Hi Ruiz,

Yes, you are right It is a nice Commander -German Made in rare Silver variation -Boris III Emission.. Most of them were made from gilded bronze I cannot see any ribbon loop ??!! I can see  part of a ribbon.Very rare i have seen maker marks on the German made ones.Most of them were made by C.F. Zimmermann , Pforzheim

The French made one had the French mark for silver -"boar head"  and the Austrian had the Austrian silver marks

"dog head with AA" and usually with the makers mark

Here is a nice Austrian made Commander by Rothe

001.JPG

002.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

Edited by Graf

Hi,

Those crosses are really Silver gold gilded/ Godet made much less numbers of Bulgarian Orders then Zimmermann.Interesting fact about Godet is that he not always follow the strict design of the Bulgarian Orders

Here are couple of Zimmermann made St Alexander Crosses Both , like yours, are marked Silber

Here is also unmarked  Godet made GC Star - notice that he used swords from a German Order, which he used to make as well

Pic086.JPG

Pic088.JPG

Medals 484.jpg

Medals 483.jpg

Here is a French made Officer Class with the "boar head"   French mark for Silver

The box is for the 5th Class, however that the way  the Order came, however it is typical French original box

Notice the typical for the French orders letter "F" on the reverse medallion

..and in my opinion the front central red enamel is different from the enamel of the Austrian made Orders, however this is only my opinion

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

Hi RUIZ,

For the Bulgarian Orders it will be very difficult, because they are not very well researched as many other decorations from Europe

For example  the German Iron Cross could be identified  without the Maker Mark, simply because it is one of the most researched Decorations and there are many books and experts in the field.

Regarding the Bulgarian Orders the only thing that could be identified is the country of the Maker and in very rare cases the Maker himself, simply by the typical way of making and by typical parts used for making the Decorations

The most difficult period is the Republican one, because many private Bulgarian Makers were involved into the making of the Bulgarian Orders and Decorations

I hope this will be of some help

Very nice order, Graf.

A noticeable difference between the French and Austrian made crosses (for this period) is the loop - French ones have double decorative loop, while Austrian examples - a spherical-shaped one.

It is indeed very difficult to find out who the maker was. The order of St Alexander is probably the most diverse (in terms of emissions and variations) order in Bulgarian history and many of the badges were not marked at all.

Hello, I have a question. A friend of mine has this St. Alexander order and the Star. I understand it is III class Commander Cross (as only III class can be in green enamel, right?). But it comes without star, no? So this ensemble he has makes no sense then, as it did not exist. 

Also he was curious if it is possible to trance who was awarded with this order. Is it anyhow possible?

IMG_8534.JPG

IMG_8535.JPG

IMG_8536.JPG

1st class set looks good, not sure why you say it didn't exist.

The cross is not the same as for 3rd class. It's the same size and both had green enamels, but differences are in center red medallion - 3rd class has lion in the center, while 1st class has elaborate name "St Alexander" in the center.

Unfortunately it's almost impossible to know the name of the awarded, unless you have document or box is labeled with the name. In this case only name and the grade is on the label.