News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

War Merit Cross 1st Class - Genuine?

Hi all, I know these are faked a lot and would like to know what you think of these please…

Without swords - marked “L15”. This is slightly thinner than the one with swords.

With swords - unmarked. You can see the nickel plate bubbling on the swastika, presumably it has zinc as its base metal?

Cheers, Gregg.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

My only concern is with the cross without swords, as doing a search for L15 on the net highlighted the so called “Floch” copies. Can any members shed light on these please?

Hello Gregg,

You are absolutely correct for being concerned about that KVK1 without Swords: That is an Austrian-made fake and no doubt the work of Johannes Floch. It is a very well-known fake that has plagued our hobby for decades. :mad:

Best regards,

Tom

• 8 months later...

Hello, I have Robin Lumsden's book "Third Reich Militaria" on pg.52 L/15 is Otto Schickle, Pforzheim. And 15 is F.O. Friedrich Orth. Not sure if it makes any difference or if it was worth noting.

Well and my wife just joked asking "what are you doing in the gentleman's club?"

Cheers! George

• 7 months later...

I'd have to agree that the KVK w/o Swords is Post-WWII. The "5" almost looks like an "S". Since that was the manufacture's calling card, I doubt they would sign their product so sloppily. Even late-war zinc pieces that have I have examined, where the finish is gone, the manufacture's stamp (if present) is always strong and clear.

I think that is an important point that the dies were the same quite often. Only the metal quality used was inferior, due to supply issues I suppose? There was a war on you know! I think it often gets forgoten the strike quality is always pretty good in the sort of mid war stuff, is that a fair comment? As such I don't mind the 'inferior quality' of the zincers as there is a better chance you are getting the real deal. I would always rather have something plain looking and of the period than a fancy fake any day!

Jock :)

Edited by Jock Auld