News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victory Medal Award Documents in General

Similar to the separate general topic on Victory Medal ribbons, interest has been expressed in having a separate topic to discuss Victory Medal award documents. As documents are quite collectible - even without the medal - this topic will allow for a general discussion and comparison of award documents and diplomas for specific countries or even between the different countries.

Hello,
    In France, before wearing the medal of victory, it was decided by a decree of 29 October 1919 and 2 November 1919 instruction from the fighters were allowed provisionally to wear the ribbon of the medal of victory .
    Wearing the medal was authorized by the Act of 20 July 1922.
    following are examples port ribbon victory medal.
    You will notice that one of the port permissions tape dated 22 November 1919, while the instruction dated November 2, 1922!
    Regards
    Jean-Michel

Edited by Jean-Michel

• 2 weeks later...

Similar to the separate general topic on Victory Medal ribbons, interest has been expressed in having a separate topic to discuss Victory Medal award documents. As documents are quite collectible - even without the medal - this topic will allow for a general discussion and comparison of award documents and diplomas for specific countries or even between the different countries.

Hello Rick,

If we are going for a separate topic I would suggest some spring cleaning to remove the existing document posts in the country specific threads. This would then keep all the documents in the one place. On initial glances there are not that many docs already posted so it shouldn't take too long to quickly gather the stragglers and place them in the document topic.

The forum is looking very organised and complete.

Regards,

Rob

Hello Rick,

If we are going for a separate topic I would suggest some spring cleaning to remove the existing document posts in the country specific threads. This would then keep all the documents in the one place. On initial glances there are not that many docs already posted so it shouldn't take too long to quickly gather the stragglers and place them in the document topic.

The forum is looking very organised and complete.

Regards,

Rob

I'll take a look...and consider it in due course. Time is rather short right now.

Nice diplomes Jean-Michel.

There is a wide variety of designs and different award categories for the French vic, so there should be many examples to be posted.

There is also quite a few variations of the Italian award certificates.

It will be good to see the document collectors amongst the group.

Regards,
    Rob

Hello,
    I present to you a second set of French diplomas non-compliant.
    The first is in color (65cm x 50cm), look at the medal, it's fun even this medal with suspension brace of English type.
    The second diploma resemble to the second French empire with its double page.
    Finally, the third is almost like the official model, but it has the distinction of being awarded in 1942! 24 years after the armistice.
    You will notice that is given during the period of occupation under the Vichy regime.
    As Rob said, there are a multitude of French diplomas with different graphics.
    Regards
    Jean-Michel

To all,

While my collection is in long-term storage, I would be interested to see what opinions there are on the scarcity of particular country award certificates/brevets/diplomas.

I think the scarcest diplomas are:

* Brazil, and

* Italian Navy

It would be good to hear other opinions.

Regards,
    Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the two Italian diplomas, Army and Navy.

As RobW wrote, the Navy one is quite scarcer than the Army model. However, the price is not so high.

268.jpg

579.jpg

I introduce my French diploma also. Since I'm not an expert about it, I'm waiting for your comments about it.

496.jpg

Here are the two Italian diplomas, Army and Navy.

As RobW wrote, the Navy one is quite scarcer than the Army model. However, the price is not so high.

Hello Claudio,

Thanks for posting these pics. These are a nice pair of Italian diploma's.

I introduce my French diploma also. Since I'm not an expert about it, I'm waiting for your comments about it.

While I am also not an expert on the myriad of French vic diplomas this is a nice example of that issued to a member of the 1st Aeronautic Group. Those certificates awarded to members of the French Air Force, or air groups in general are not often seen.

As Jean-Michel illustrated above there are quite a few different designs to the French vic diploma.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hello Claudio,
    The French degree that you have has a particularity, it is assigned to a unit created after the war.
    Let me explain:
    "The first group of workmen Aviation was established by decree of 10 August 1920. It consisted of a dozen sections of aviation workmen, each assigned to an institution of military aviation equipment whose function was to supply, store, or repair the aircraft equipment. At the same time he changed his name, he became the 1st group of workmen in the aerospace industry."
    Regards
    Jean-Michel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jean-Michel

both awards (interallied and commemorative) has the same date: 31/3/1925.

I can't have an opinion about Belgian diplomas, they were the very first I've found. The price was low, anyway, a few euros only.

• 2 weeks later...
    Hello Claudio,
    I know your diploma, for a first purchase is a good deal.
    In Belgium there are many diplomas in French, Flemish and bilingual .
    Here's a different version with the distinction of having an early attribution 29 August 1919 compared to the decree of 14 July 1919.
    The second is bilingual and unusual with very early attribution August 15, 1919.
    Regards
    Jean-Michel

I know your diploma, for a first purchase is a good deal.

... Jean-Michel could you give me some suggestion for a SECOND purchase? I bought my ones in ebay, may be there are others also over there, but what could be the keywords?

Or could you name other (web) places to dig in?

Goodnight Claudio,
    In terms of collection, the advice I can give you is to know already the subject you want to focus.
    In the immediate future, ebay is a correct source and you should also look on military exchanges, auction houses and think to exchange.
    Above all, be patient, watch and buy at the right time. Each purchase provides a great pleasure.
    Regards
    Jean-Michel