News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Miralai or Lewa of the Anglo-Egyptian Army

Vanuatu Blue

Have posted here a recent purchase and a cracking photo of a Brig / Major General of the Anglo-Egyptian Army.

I would just love to have a similer group to add to my collection !

Hoping a member of the forum can shed some light on him his uniform and never say never even his name !!!

A very good friend had a few comments observations on him noted below.

The aiguilettes worn on the left side in the British Army indicate that the person is a member of the Headquarters Staff, the General Staff or Personal Staff to a Governor-General.

His sword is the Mameluke pattern as worn by general officers throughout the British Empire.

The sword knot is correct for a general officer, as are the gold lace on crimson leather sword slings. They are what are known as Line Infantry Pattern, at least in the British Army, perhaps suggesting that he was not from a Mounted branch like the Cavalry or Artillery? Just a guess.

The epaulettes are a little old-fashioned looking, what's known as Box Epaulettes, so I can't offer any information on them. They must just be an old pattern, or indicating that he is actually something like a provincial governor, but then why would he be wearing military rank insignia on his shoulders? Furtherstudy required, as the catalogues say.

The medals are court-mounted, which was pretty unusual for anyone but courtiers and very senior officers at this time. They appear to be very well done too! Can you make out any of the clasps on the KSM? I seem to recall that only the Artillery and Mounted Rifles, and a few infantry machine gunners, earned the 1914-15 Star for service along the Suez Canal repelling the Turkish attack in late 1915. Of course, the only Star I have to the Egyptian Army is named to the 2nd Bn.

His awards are:

Order of the Nile
    Order of the Osmaniah
    Khedives Sudan Medal 1896 with 5 clasps
    Khedives Sudan Medal 1910 with 1 clasp
    Queens Sudan Medal 1896
    1914-15 Star
    British War medal
    Victory Medal
    Many thanks for looking, Brian.

Edited by Vanuatu Blue

Brian,

A couple of years ago I purchased in the souk in Riyadh a 14/15 trio to an Egyptian, already broken up for sale as individual medals, and all named to "Ahmed Mustafa El Seesy" - no rank or unit. After some research Ahmed was identified as a "Driver Medical Services Egyptian Expeditionary Forces". Other 1914-18 War Medals I have only have number and unit - no names such as, "1396 D.of S. E.A." and, "1-SQ Cav.E.A.". I would hope that your officer's WW1 trio would be named in full but I would not guarantee it.

Regards,

Owain

Hi Owain,

Nice to know you were able to reconstitute the trio to the Egyptian Army Medical Corps and named as well an even better bonus. As you mention most of the Egyptian Army pairs and trios were just named with the Regimantal number E.A. or Battalion number and E.A but there are some examples out there with researchable naming as yours. here is an example of a trio once in my collection but sadly now gone to a Veterinary Corps Collector. As for the Officer in the photo, one would hope the medals were named in a researchable way i.e. with his name on them as in the trio below.

Mulazim Awal (1st Lieutenant), Ibrahim 'Effendi' Kadri. Veterinary Corps, Egyptian Army.

Mulazim Awal, is an Egyptian officer rank that translated means a First Lieutenant.

Awards.

1914-15 Star, named, (Mul: Awal: I. Kadry).
    British War Medal (Mul. Awal. I. EFF. Kadri).
    Interallied Victory Medal & M.I.D. Oakleaves (Mul. Awal. I. EFF. Kadri).

Ibrahim 'Effendi' Kadri's British awards are all confirmed at the National Archives at Kew, London. vide the respective MIC's for him in file series WO 772/24 (for the MID, where he is shown as an Egyptian Government Official) and WO 372/11 (for the 1914-15 Trio, where his unit is shown as being the (Veterinary Corps, Egyptian Army).

A preliminary search of the MIC's using 'Egyptian' in the search critera returns 3,491 'hits'. While many of those returned are British and other European's in the Egyptian Services, the majority appear to be to indiginous Egyptians, and covering all arms of services including Cavalry, Infantry, Artillery, Government Officials and Support Arms

Kadri's Mention-In-Despatches was published in the Supplement to the London Gazette dated 6/7/1917. His name appears under the list of 'Egyptian Government Officers, as Veterinary Corps, Egyptian Army Ibrahim Effendi Kadri, 2nd Lt (Mulazim Tani) (Ministry of Agriculture). The award was one recommended in the despatch of General Murray, Commander-In-Chief, Egyptian Expeditionary Force, in respect of of 'Gallant or Distinguished Conduct in the field, or for other Valuable Services - during the period 1/10/1916 - 28/2/1917.

Regards, Brian.

Edited by Vanuatu Blue

Brian,

Nice group - hopefully it has gone to a good home.

On getting home from work - Saturday and Sundays are work days here in Riyadh, I found in my Egypt notes the following.

Group offered for sale in the Khan Al Khalili in Cairo in March 1996 for $2,000 - I just did not have the cash and still rue the day.....:

• Order of the Nile 4th Class by Lattes.
    • Military Star of Sultan Fouad, (Hen'sTeeth!).
    • Order of Mejide 5th Class.
    • Khedive Sudan 1st Issue, Clasp - Nyima.
    • Khedive's Sudan 2nd Issue (no note as to whether it was Abbas Hilmi or Fouad type), Clasps - Garjan, Nyima 1917-18, Dharfur 1916 & Fasher.
    • Belgium - Order of the Crown 5th Class.
    • U.K. - 1914-15 Star, War & Victory - all marked "Mulazem A. Egypt R.A.", (Mulazem A = "Mulazem Awal" = First Lieutenant).

On this basis it could be argued that even officers awards to teeth or support arms were not named.

Regards, Owain

Owain,

Is it not always the way, when something nice comes up funds are hard to find, happens to me far to often, what a great group that was that you missed, would just love to have one in my collection, closest I have is the group below, "Note his 1914-15 Star is named in full but the War & Victory only has rank and unit" (Also not mounted in the Egyptian order of wear but on a very old mount as worn) I have posted it up elsewhere on the forum but showing again as it fits in this thread. Now just need to find one with a Sudan 1910 medal in it. !!!!

Kaimakam, Yusef Effendi Dervish, OBE.

A Medical Officer of the Egyptian Army Medical Corps.

Awards.

The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, 1st type Officer’s (O.B.E.) Civil Division breast badge, silver-gilt, hallmarks for London 1919.

1914-15 Star (Yuz. Yusef Eff. Dervish, Med. Corps S.G.).

British War Medal (Yuzbashi, Med. Corps E.A.).

Victory Medal (Yuzbashi, Med. Corps E.A.).

Egypt, Order of the Nile, 5th Class breast badge, silver, silver-gilt and enamel.

Ottoman Empire, Order of Medjidie, 5th Class breast badge, silver, gold and enamel, mounted court style for display,

Commissioned into the Sudan Government Medical Services on 6th April 1911.

April 1920, Medical Officer (El Yuzbashi) at Yei.

April 1923, Medical Officer (El Bimbashi) at Kajo Kaji on sleeping sickness duty.

April 1924, Medical Officer (El Bimbashi) at Tembura.

January 1926 till December 1932, Medical Officer (El Bimbashi) (OBE) at Yei, on sleeping sickness duty.

July 1931 promoted to (Kaimakam) Lieutenant Colonel.

8th December 1932, Retiring, (El Kaimakam) (OBE) at Source Yubo.

WO 329 / 2956 Medical Corps Sudan Government “Yuz Yusef Eff Dervish (3) roll dated 23rd December 1918.

Honorary Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire 5th June 1926.

Decoration and warrant sent to the Foreign Office on 15th July 1926.

O.B.E. Sudan Government Gazette No. 482, 15 November 1926. ‘The King has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following appointment to the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire for services rendered in the Sudan’

To be Honorary Officer of the Civil Division of the said Most Excellent Order.
    ‘El Bimbashi Yusef Effendi Dervish, Medical Officer, Yei.’ District HQ Equatoria Province.

He was awarded the 1914-15 Star trio as a Yuzbashi (Captain) in the Medical Corps of the Government of Sudan/Egyptian Army.

Regards, Brian.

Edited by Vanuatu Blue

Brian,

Nice group indeed. From what we have discussed would it be reasonable to assume that smaller units (medics & vets) or attached/detached indviduals are more ikely to have their names noted on the medals as opposed to teeth arms where perhaps large nominal rolls encouraged the engravers to be brief? The indigenous Egyptians you mention in the MIC's and the volume of such may support my assumption. however assumptions are never wise!

Regards, Owain

Owain,

At this point in time i would have to agree with your assumption on the naming of these medals but as you say assumptions are never wise, for sure a topic that needs be looked into further when time permits.

Best Regards, Brian.

• 3 months later...

Brian,

Lovely group - it is missing the Military Star of Sultan Fouad (instituted 1922 - tbc) and as scarce as hen's teeth. I have an image somewhere and I will post later.

Regards,

Owain

Dear Brian,

I attach a image of the award which is on display at the Abdine Palace in Cairo - this one was worn by King Farouk. The medal on the right is the one for Meritorious Acts. My notes on this medal, taken from my article on Egyptian awards publised in JOMSA, are as detailed below.

Kind regards,

Owain

This award was instituted by a Royal Decree on 6 December 1919 as the Order of the Military Star of Sultan Fouad and was re-designated the Order of the Military Star of King Fouad on 15 March 1922 and amended by Decree 95 of 1922 dated 25 December. This Star was awarded to officers mentioned in Despatches by the Commander of the Armed Forces either for merit, or for distinguished service on the battlefield, or in the face of the enemy. The star consists of a five-pointed white enamel star with a gilded border. In the centre, on a blue and red enamelled background, a pair of crossed swords hilts lowermost surrounded by a laurel wreath and surmounted by a crown. The obverse bears the Arabic inscription, “Military Star of King Fouad”

Brian,

Tthe format of this medal was retained by the Arab Republic of Egypt - eagle instead of crossed swords and slightly changed eagle by the United Arab Republic. Lybia in 1969 also adopted the design.

Regards,

Owain