Gentleman's Military Interest Club
The Holyboy

Albert Medal Citation and The Sir Charles Wakefield Medal

Can anyone post the Albert Medal citation for CPO James Hendry RNAS (Action in November 1914) please?

Second question....is there a roll for the Sir Charles Wakefield Medal awarded to the AA gun crews for shooting down Zeppelin L.15 in 1916 ??

Any help appreciated.

The Albert Medal became the George Cross and members of the Order were asked to exchange medals. Perhaps there will be

some reports in the papers for 1914 ? Are you lucky enough to own these medals , or is it for research ? Mervyn

Hi, I would suggest that you try and source the book; "Heroes of the Albert Medal" by Allan Stanistreet. Apparently it gives the full account of each Albert Medal awarded to both men and women of the armed services who did not survive to exchange their medals for the George Cross in 1971. Unfortunately I do not have a copy to help you out however it is available through the Medal News website.

Cheers

Gavin

Apparently Gazette notice is missing for Hendry but here is his citation

James Claude Scott Hendry, P.O. Mechanic RNAS, Albert Medal, bronze

"Gallantry displayed by him on the occasion of an accident to aeroplane 58 on 19th November 1914. Saved the life of the Pilot of No. 58 (who had been stunned by the premature explosion of a bomb) by extricating him from the sinking wreckage of the machine after both had fallen some 150 feet into the sea."

Not bad citation, hope it helps.

All the best,

Paul

If anyone is completing a log for the Sir Charles Wakefield Medal I can volunteer the following information from the medal in my possession.

Sappr. J. F. Parker

Dear Holyboy and David Parker,

I purchased Sir Charles Wakefield Gold Medal many years ago and spent many years researching this difficult subject.

I have now completed an 80 page booklet on the subject which is about to go to the printers.

But I did not have the names Parker or Hendry. I would like to get in touch with you about this.

My email is berniegreen@live.co.uk