News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sometimes a huge rack of fruit salad means something

Dave Danner

As a tonic to our sometimes too often expressed cynicism about how the various services give out lots of ribbons and medals for very little, and for the hell of it, how about some of guys whose racks speak to more than "I graduated basic training and didn't get lost for three years."

First up, ...

• Replies 57
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

This is a 2 star army general I bought over the weekend-@ 1921 I reckon: 2 years overseas and a LOT of awards-especially for those days. Anyone know who he is?

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

What's that "H" shoulder patch?

Nevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvver mind = "Hawaiian Department," approved January 10, 1922.

The top ribbon is for the Distinguished Service Medal, since 1844 were awarded from 1918 to 1926 this isn't gonna be easy. The rest of the ribbons on the first and second rows look to be campaign medals. The bottom rows look like foreign awards, I spy a rosette or two in there.

Finding a list of Hawaiian Department Commanders will produce names, finding said list isn't easy.

The US Army began transitioned to the open collar in 1926, so this Major General will pre-date that.

Edited by David S

Finding a list of Hawaiian Department Commanders will produce names, finding said list isn't easy.

Finding a list is easy; finding good pictures may not be. Interwar commanding generals in Hawaii:

Brig. Gen. John W. Heard 1918-1919

Brig. Gen. Henry C. Hodges, Jr. 1919

Maj. Gen. Charles G. Morton 1919-1921

Maj. Gen. Charles P. Summerall 1921-1924

Maj. Gen. Charles T. Menoher 1924-1925

Maj. Gen. Edward M. Lewis 1925-1927

Maj. Gen. William R. Smith 1927-1928

Maj. Gen. Fox Conner 1928-1930

Maj. Gen. Edwin G. Winans 1930

Maj. Gen. William Lassiter 1930-1931

Maj. Gen. Briant H. Wells 1931-1934

Maj. Gen. Halstead Dorey 1934-1935

Maj. Gen. Hugh A. Drum 1935-1937

Maj. Gen. Andrew Moses 1937-1938

Maj. Gen. Charles D. Herron 1938-1941

Lt. Gen. Walter C. Short 1941

I can't find a picture of Charles Gould Morton, Jr.

Charles Pelot Summerall, later Army Chief of Staff (1926-1930), had both the DSC and the DSM, so it is not him.

It is not Charles Thomas Menoher: http://www.gwpda.org/photos/bin10/imag0940.jpg

Edward M. Lewis: http://www.gwpda.org/photos/bin10/imag0963.jpg

William Ruthven Smith: http://digital-library.usma.edu/cdm4/item_...SOPTR=882&REC=1

Here is the Coast Guard's solitary awardee. His MOH citation reads as follows:

Awarded posthumously to

DOUGLAS ALBERT MUNRO, SIGNALMAN FIRST CLASS, U.S. COAST GUARD

'For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous gallantry in action above and beyond the call of duty as Office-in-Charge of a group of Higgins boats, engaged in the evacuation of a Battalion of Marines trapped by enemy Japanese forces at Point Cruz, Guadalcanal, on September 27, 1942. After making preliminary plans for the evacuation of nearly 500 beleaguered Marines, Munro, under constant risk of his life, daringly led five of his small craft toward the shore. As he closed the beach, he signalled [sic] the others to land, and then in order to draw the enemy's fire and protect the heavily loaded boats, he valiantly placed his craft with its two small guns as a shield between the beachhead and the Japanese. When the perilous task of evacuation was nearly completed, Munro was killed by enemy fire, but his crew, two of whom were wounded, carried on until the last boat had loaded and cleared the beach. By his outstanding leadership, expert planning, and dauntless devotion to duty, he and his courageous comrades undoubtedly saved the lives of many who otherwise would have perished. He gallantly gave up his life in defense of his country.'"

Althought this ribbon bar is not the largest it is still impressive

Medal of Honor

Purple Heart

Asia-Pacific Campaign with battle star

American Theatre Campaign Medal

World War II Victory Medal

Coast Guard Good Conduct

Coast Guard Expert Rifle Medal

Here is the website where I retrieved the information I just posted. There are a lot more photos and information for anyone who is interested.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/Munro%20Index.html

Good afternoon Gentlemen (and Ladies if there are any in attendance),

I'm new to your forum. I appreciate the opportunity to view your comments and share mutual interests.

I have observed over the years the inequities regarding awards. Not at all uncommon for a WWII Vet who put his life on the line for four years to display only four or five ribbons. This progressively increased with successive wars. It would appear that the Air Force was the worse service for proliferation of awards. I jokingly refer to many of these as, "No cavities, perfect attendance, and an accumulation of ten or more smiley faces." In reality, things have to be placed in perspective. Considerably more awards exist today than previously. Back then, service members were in for the "duration" while now we have a professional corps of service men staying much longer. Obviously, those staying in 20, 30, or 40 or more years will be in a position to earn more awards. Senior officers/NCO's, by simple virtue of the positions held, would receive awards that others would not be eligible for.

When a service member sports only five awards of which you have a DSC, Silver Star and Purple Heart, as compared to someone with lesser awards but considerably more in number, which tells the real story of valor and dedication to duty?

Just an observation. Jack

Hello Everyone,

I would like to pose a question. What would be your reaction if you observed a green service tunic of a Marine Master Sergeant adorned with the following decorations: Air Medal with three stars, Marine Good Conduct medal with four stars, Army Good Conduct medal, ETO with one star, American Defense Medal, WWII Victory Medal, AAF Air Crew wings, Marine Air Crew wings? Would like very much to have your obser-vations. Regards, Jack

I would suspect someone fiddled with them and then wonder if he was an ex-army man who became a tail gunner.

I have seen discharge papers of master mechanics who flew the hump so many times as in service repair crew that they got air medals. The wings though....

Edited by Ulsterman

I would suspect someone fiddled with them and then wonder if he was an ex-army man who became a tail gunner.

I have seen discharge papers of master mechanics who flew the hump so many times as in service repair crew that they got air medals. The wings though....

Thank you for responding. Let's wait for a few more responses before we take a closer look.

Regards, Jack