News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sometimes a huge rack of fruit salad means something

Dave Danner

Back on the topic of fruit salad, were recipients of various medals and ribbons required to wear them?

I ask because I've known a VN vet who refuses to wear certain ribbons awarded to him. Personal issues he will not discuss.

And also after researching my Dad's ribbons, when he retired, he was entitled to awards composing three rows, yet only wore three ribbons.

• Replies 57
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panzerman,

The McArthur clan and Gen Withers Burress (Spanish American War and WWI) are missing from the list. This would bring the list up to 23. Jack

The MacArthurs were awarded one each. Who's Burress? Couldn't find him in the list of recipients.

Panzerman,

The McArthur clan and Gen Withers Burress (Spanish American War and WWI) are missing from the list. This would bring the list up to 23. Jack

Sir,

May I ask where you got this information. I've looked at the Congressional MoH Society and US Army Center of Military History sites and cannot find any information on the MacArthur's being awarded two medals of honor. Father and son, yes, but only one each.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Sir,

May I ask where you got this information. I've looked at the Congressional MoH Society and US Army Center of Military History sites and cannot find any information on the MacArthur's being awarded two medals of honor. Father and son, yes, but only one each.

Jim

So, getting back to wearing two ribbons ala the MOH. On page one of this thread there is a pic of an AF General in dress whites with two BSM ribbons...one for Valor with, I believe second and third awards...and then one awarded for Meritorious Achievement right next to it. I was always under the impression that there should only be one BSM ribbon worn. Anybody know any different?

So, getting back to wearing two ribbons ala the MOH. On page one of this thread there is a pic of an AF General in dress whites with two BSM ribbons...one for Valor with, I believe second and third awards...and then one awarded for Meritorious Achievement right next to it. I was always under the impression that there should only be one BSM ribbon worn. Anybody know any different?

That's Gen. Day and I looked up his awards on the net and they were described as BSM with V and two OLC's and a BSM for merit. Maybe he seems to think you can separate the two, (but with his status who's going to tell him otherwise!).

It is possible to wear a second ribbon, at least in the army, if you have 10 awards (as did Hackworth with ten Silver Stars). Army regs state that you can't wear more than four OLC's on your ribbon; therefore you wear a second ribbon.

Edited by Mike Page

Air Force regs are similar to the Army's in that sense -- only 4 devices on any ribbon. If you have more than four devices, you go to a second ribbon (which takes the place of one device) with the devices on the first ribbon.

This is most commonly seen with the Air Medal, but other awards do occasionally show up with this situation and that can lead to persoanl preferences trumping the regulations. I wore two Air Force Outstanding Unit Award ribbons -- one with a "V" and the other with the various oak leaf clusters. I simply looks better than jamming eveything on the first ribbon. In the 10+ years I wore them that way, only 1 person ever asked about the arrangement.