News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two examples of 3rd Reich Propaganda Postcards

Hello readers.

Here are two examples of third Reich propaganda postcards from my small personal collection during WW II period. I selected these two for showing here because I believe them to be seldom seen. They are in my opinion carefully crafted and appealing to the young minds.

The caption : " Vom Hitlerjungen zum Offizier des Heeres Dein Weg" clearly shows the path to take or 'From being a Hitler youth to being an officer in the Army Your path"

And the second one:

Cleverly ties Frederick the Great's grenadiers to the present day Armored Grenadiers. Bearing in mind that Frederick II (or better known as Frederick the Great) was a favorite propaganda subject during the 3rd Reich. Movies such as "Der Grosse Koenig" ( The Great King) or "Kadetten" ( Cadets) and others tied neatly into the period of war against great odds which were mastered by King Frederick.

Both images originated from the Army Personnel Office not Dr. Goebbels' Ministry.

I hope you like them.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Bernhard

The first one shows the distinctive artwork of the artist, Wolfgang Willrich...very nice.

I can't make out the artist of the second..is the name mentioned on the reverse of the card?

Hello John.

As you mention the first card clearly shows Willrich as the artist as do the majority of the cards I kept for sentimental reasons and which cards are well known. The second shows a small inscription on the lower right edge, one could read perhaps as "Gotjunke 42"? The reverse gives the name thus " Zeichnung Gotschke" or drawing Gotschke. This beneath "Panzergrenadiere Junge Waffe - alte Tradition" or Armored Grenadiers Young arm - old tradition.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Hi Bernhard

Thanks for that....

Having not come across this artist before, thought I would see what google would turn up... Interesting!

So, his name was Walter Gotschke who was a well known graphic artist & cartoonist who was well known for his illustrations of cars... and in particular those participating in the Grand Prix.

Anyway, link to wikipedia...well worth the read:

http://translate.google.je/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Gotschke&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgotschke%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1904%26bih%3D942&sa=X&ei=PydpUfGdOarK0QXM2IC4Bg&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQ7gEwAQ

Hi Bernhard

Thanks for that....

Having not come across this artist before, thought I would see what google would turn up... Interesting!

So, his name was Walter Gotschke who was a well known graphic artist & cartoonist who was well known for his illustrations of cars... and in particular those participating in the Grand Prix.

Anyway, link to wikipedia...well worth the read:

http://translate.google.je/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Gotschke&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgotschke%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1904%26bih%3D942&sa=X&ei=PydpUfGdOarK0QXM2IC4Bg&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQ7gEwAQ

Hello John.

Thanks for the link. Being confused by the "translation" into English the original, German version is so much clearer. The man had a tragic life but reading the many , different companies for which he worked his talents were certainly appreciated. Quite a number of those manufacturers mentioned are either today unknown or have disappeared. I never would have thought of him having made such impact, so did not take time to check his background.

Thanks again,

Bernhard H. Holst