News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spanish ? "in hoc salus sig, Medina" Unknown Medal

Linasl

Greetings All,

I just purchased this medal from an auction in Spain. Even though the ribbon bar seems Spanish, I know nothing about the medal itself. Any and all assistance in identifying it and any supplementary information would be greatly appreciated.

Take care. Linas

P.S. it is the best photo I could get.

Linas

It's a Spanish Red Cross Order (Orden de la Cruz Roja Española). ‘IN HOC SIG - - NO SALUS’ is "in this sign, health" the motto of the Spanish Red Cross which was one of the earliest national societies, founded in 1864.

They also have crowns instead of castles which may indicate differing classes or area but I 'spect you can find more on t'tinternet now you know what it is.

Edited by Spasm

• 1 month later...

Hello Antonio

May I pick your brain about this gold first class badge of the Spanish Red Cross ?

The shape of its crown looks different from those shown on the very good illustrations you refered us to.. What period do you think it might be ? Before Alfonso XIII ?. Or later ?

The red cross is made of five red stones. The reverse is plain, no mention of the maker. The badge is very attractive.

Every bit of information will be gratefully received. Thank you.

Paul

• Thank you very much Antonio. If I understand what you mean, this badge would be 1917-1931 pre-republican period. With a crown differently shaped as compared to the one on the picture you suggestd I see.
    • It certainly is a credit to the fine crafmanship of Spanish jewellers !

I am very grateful

Paul