News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tom Bowker, MC, Machine Gun Corps

• 9 years later...

Military Cross; A 'fighting citation' to Tom Bowker Temp. 2nd Lt. 244 Company Machine Gun Corps KIA aged 25 years on the 9th April 1918, he is commemorated at the Rue-Petillon Cemetery Fleurbaix.

Citation. 

Near Vaulx Vraucourt from March 23rd to 25th 1918, this officer displayed great courage and initiative whilst in command of an advanced machine gun section. On several occasions, when the infantry were ordered to withdraw to fresh positions, he kept his guns in action in advance of the infantry line effectively covering their movement, and then again brought his guns into action in fresh positions. When relieved he voluntarily returned to the trenches and took charge of a party of infantry who were without an officer and successfully reorganised a portion of our front line. His magnificent fighting spirit throughout the operations is deserving of the highest commendation. 

Tom Bowker was born at Ancoats, Manchester on 31st October1892, the second of four sons. At some time his parents moved to Salford where they ran an 'off licence'.

In April 1912 he joined the Royal Engineers (Territorial Force) he was at this time a printer. At the out-break of WW1 Tom was called up, he was still single and 21 years of age. Tom sailed with his unit, 42nd Signal Company Royal Engineers to Egypt and took part in the Dardanelles campaign from early May 1915 until the evacuation on 3rd January 1916. It was this campaign that merited the 1914/15 Star.

In early April 1916 Tom attended the newly created Machine Gun Corps Cadet Batn. at Bisley. This move would have been at his own request. It was not until 1922 that the MGC was disbanded and the machine gun element of the British Army was integrated into the infantry. It was the practice that a section of four guns were attached to each infantry company commanded by an officer. Tom Bowker apparently carried out training from 26th Sept. to 26th January 1917 until commissioned as temp. 2nd Lt.

He embarked at Southampton on 15th July 1917, with 244 Company MGC; shortly afterwards to join 40th (New Army) Div.

Tom was to return home for a brief furlough around Christmas 1917, this was the last time that his family were to see him.

During late 1917 and early 1918 the German forces deployed large numbers of troops on the Western Front, drawing forces from the Eastern Front following the collapse of Russian forces. March 1918 was to see the last throw of the dice for Germany, a huge offensive (Operation Michael) to end the war in their favour before the arrival, in large numbers, of American Forces. March 21st 1918 saw the start of what has been referred to as the spring offensive. The blow fell between the French and British armies in the direction of Amiens. A huge gas and H.E. onslaught, the British were to suffer 21,000 prisoners taken on the first day. Many units were simply over-run and desperate fighting took place to stem the tide. After heavy casualties the British and French gave way withdrawing many miles. It was a quite desperate time.

It was during the desperate fighting of these early days of the offensive that Tom Bowker was to be awarded his Military Cross. As the commander of his section of four guns the citation clearly illustrates the tactical use of his guns in covering the withdrawal of the hard pressed infantry. The award was published in the London Gazette on 16th Sept. 1918. There followed a further Mention in Despatches for ‘gallant & distinguished services in the field' dated 7th April 1918.

On 9th April 1918 the German forces launched another offensive just to the north of Arras (Known as the Battle of the Lys) and it was on the opening day that Tom Bowker was killed in action. An apparent account to the family by his batman is of a shell landing near to him. Initially buried at the German cemetery Le Petit Mortier six miles west of Armentieres, when the remains of British dead were removed to larger cemeteries his remains could no longer be found.

Initially the family were told that Tom was missing in action, his death was confirmed on 6th May 1918. During the dates 20th March and 10th April 1918 145 officers and 1557 OR's of the MGC were to die on the western front, a very high number. This testament to the tactics of the day with the guns in close support, very often in exposed positions. This award was hard won by a young officer who clearly led from the front.

Tom Bowker's medals.jpg

And here is the memorial plaque.  Soon to be reunited with the group, thanks to GMIC!  This was separated from the lot when it was sold at auction years ago, which is why I posted this thread.  When the mistake was discovered, it had changed hands and we could not locate the owner.  Still not too late - it's going home.

BowkerPlaque2.jpg

What a happy ending... I suppose that this was nearly impossible without the Internet, and many of the good people in between. In the 'good old days' when only paper ruled, this was very very hard... Thanks to all involved!

Hi Chris,

I collect interesting gallantry medal groups. I will put a few articles together and post in the goodness of time. A bit tied up with other things at the moment!

I am so glad to have joined the GMIC and it has reaped benefits for me already thanks to Tim.

I reckon I must hold the world record for a reunite right now!

Darren

I am pleased to report that Tom Bowker's plaque arrived safely this morning and after a break of over a decade now sits proudly alongside his medals and memorial scroll. His group is 'complete' once again.

Thanks once again to Tim and the GMIC forum for making this possible. 

Tim already knows that the beers are on me whenever I'm in NY!

Regards to all.

Darren 

3 hours ago, Old Monkey said:

I am pleased to report that Tom Bowker's plaque arrived safely this morning and after a break of over a decade now sits proudly alongside his medals and memorial scroll. His group is 'complete' once again.

Thanks once again to Tim and the GMIC forum for making this possible. 

Tim already knows that the beers are on me whenever I'm in NY!

Regards to all.

Darren 

Glad to hear it, and looking forward to that beer one day.  :cheers:

Tim

• 7 years later...

Hi Darren

Do you still have Tom Bowker's medals?

Tom Bowker was my grandfather's uncle, whom my grandfather was named after.

My grandfather, Tom, fought in WWII from the very beginning and was eventually taken POW at the fall of Tobruk.

The medals you have once belonged to my grandad, but for some reason he decided to sell them.
    I have my grandfather's medals (unfortunately not all), which sit alongside mine, I served in the Australian army.

If you would ever consider parting ways with them, I would love to put all 3 generation's medals together.

Kind regards

Ashley Bowker