News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello gents,

I had the good fortune to win the items below on ebay, the top one has hooks on the back. What do you think would be the most likely medals to go with it? I remember reading somewhere that pre-war the trapezoidal style was favoured by enlisted, is this true?

The possibilities I've got until now are (for the first ribbon (the light blue) and in decreasing order of plausibility) - Kronenordenmedaille, Medal of the Friedrich Order, Mecklenburg Civil Merit Medal.

The second ribbon (the red one with yellow stripes as the bar is upside down) is a bit more difficult. At first I thought a Baden long service medal, but the examples I've seen vary a lot in the width of the stripes, most having wider ones. It could potentially be an Order/medal of St. Henry the Lion or the 1906 wedding medal (but both have the same stripe width problem). Finally, could it be a medal to the Russian Order of St. Anna?

Btw, the hook for the second ribbon is a couple of millimetres lower than the other, in case that helps!

As you can see I have found some possibilities but I need some help to see which are the most likely and plausible.

Thanks a lot! :)

Matthew

PS: It could also be a Lippe-Detmold Lifesaving Medal and a 20 year service award from the same state, but considering their rarity I highly doubt it!!!!!!

$T2eC16dHJI!E9qSO9w3VBR,tM-eSV!~~60_12.J

Hi Matthew I appreciate your dilemma I am going through the same thing at the moment.

I think you have already got the answer, crown order and baden long service. they would make the most sense.

Baden long service ribbon usually had a thin yellow stripe just in from the edge, though obviously you will find variations. Russian St Anna was usually very thin yellow stripe at the edge of the ribbon.

The trouble is which versions of these options was it?

If you go by medal sizes here are what I believe to be the options;

As you say the red ribbons attachment hook is lower than the other therefore this medal must be slightly smaller.

KO medal is 35-37mm

Baden 9 & 12 year LS 30-32mm (The Landwehr is even smaller, ruling it out I believe)

Hence about 5mm difference.

KO 4th class 41mm

Baden Officers 25yr 38mm

Hence about 3mm difference.

Take your pick, I've probably got it totally wrong, but thats my tuppence worth!

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your opinions! I don't think it can be the officer long service combo, as he would have had the 1902 jubilee medal. The 9-12 year service medals are more likely, so when I have it properly in hand I will check.

Regards,

Matthew