News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Very nice Gunther. Who's name is inside?

hier the foto from the labe insite the pocket

greetz

dam cant not

i chanche my camera on the smalest pitchers and stil this words are comming

The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

schame -i thake meney pics from my visor and uniforms

regards

gunther

• 2 months later...
    • Replies 122
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan. is a british battledress tunic transformed to be used by the Kriegsmarine u-boat crews, but this one is not good because is a denim model 40 and not the model 37, that was the one used by the german navy. Is very usual tu see this even in very reputeable dealers webs.

Edited by KM-SPAIN

Dan. is a british battledress tunic transformed to be used by the Kriegsmarine u-boat crews, but this one is not good because is a denim model 40 and not the model 37, that was the one used by the german navy. Is very usual tu see this even in very reputeable dealers webs.

Eduardo

Thank you for your valuable input on this item. However the actual item was NOT purchased from a dealer I purchased this along with a Canadian Battle Dress Jacket and Trousers dated 1944, a British 1940 patter battledress and the jacket with the Kriegsmarine Insignia the stitching is contempory and german style the entire stitching for epalets and awards are all german thread and style i have seen on german tunics i have had in the past. I still think this was captured and used but i will leave the decision to the person whom swaps it. oh by the way total costs for all items was ?30. From house clearance

Dan

• 4 months later...

Another U-Boot Bordjacke more easy to find. British pattern 37 battle dress reconditioned by the Kriegsmarine. Sadly, often it is impossible to say if it is a wartime made or after.

Mmm...and in the close confines of a sub, that metal breast eagle in post #36 (and previous posts) would be a nightmare for snagging on everything. Do they show wear consistant with that or are they add ons?

Regards;

Johnsy

PS: Even on a warship, which are comparatively roomy, any loose items of equipment will tend to snag on bulkhead protusions, hatch combings and other personnel. It is as if there is a magnetic attraction!!

Edited by Tiger-pie

Mmm...and in the close confines of a sub, that metal breast eagle in post #36 (and previous posts) would be a nightmare for snagging on everything. Do they show wear consistant with that or are they add ons?

Regards;

Johnsy

PS: Even on a warship, which are comparatively roomy, any loose items of equipment will tend to snag on bulkhead protusions, hatch combings and other personnel. It is as if there is a magnetic attraction!!

Bordjacke can certainly be found with more logical cloth embroidered insignia, but there is no doubt that the metal eagle from the summer tunic was also worn on the Bordjacke. There is no shortage of photographic evidence of it in wear.

Bordjacke can certainly be found with more logical cloth embroidered insignia, but there is no doubt that the metal eagle from the summer tunic was also worn on the Bordjacke. There is no shortage of photographic evidence of it in wear.

Hello

Gordon

I am agree. :beer:

Nesredep

That photo puts it in context, it appeared larger and more prominent in the previous posts, though as you say the cloth version would be far more practical. It was probably the fashion of the time to wear the metal eagle on the Bordjacke, one chap started it and then they all did it. I certainly wasn't disputing that this was common practice, just that from experiance I know that anything that isn't flush with your rig will snag.

A modern day story to illustrate my point, a Stoker in our navy refused to wear his ID tags around his neck in the engine room for fear of them becoming entangled in rotating machinery, so he carried them in his top left zip pocket of his Combat Coveralls. The idea spread throughout the fleet quickly and became an illegal but accepted practice when conducting engineering rounds.

Regards;

Johnsy

Edited by Tiger-pie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused as to what the differences are between the British pattern 37 and 40. I have the pictured tunic, bought several years back for a modest investment on eBay (I can see the smirks out there!) It has, as all good eBay items do, a story. The story is that the seller, who lives in the Netherlands, bought this form a German woman who claimed that it was her father's, who was a Gefreiter in the U-Bootwaffe. An e-mail from the woman to this effect was in the pocket of the tunic. The seller claimed that the woman also told him that the shoulder straps were cut off in order to reduce the possibility of getting caught in the cramped quarters of a U-Boat.

I would appreciate any opinions regarding this tunic. Has anyone ever heard of removing shoulder straps from British battle dress in order to make them U-Boat ready?

Thanks!

Erik

Another U-Boot Bordjacke more easy to find. British pattern 37 battle dress reconditioned by the Kriegsmarine. Sadly, often it is impossible to say if it is a wartime made or after.

Erik, your tunic looks OK, but as always the story is only that, a story.

The main difference between the denim models 37 and 40 is thand in the frirst the breast pockects hava the center pleats and in the model 40 this were omitted.

About the shoulders, usually the enlisted men only changed the buttons, the junior NCO add the golden tress arround the collar and the shoulders, and the NCO and the officers changed the shoulder to the german model.

Erik, your tunic looks OK, but as always the story is only that, a story.

The main difference between the denim models 37 and 40 is thand in the frirst the breast pockects hava the center pleats and in the model 40 this were omitted.

About the shoulders, usually the enlisted men only changed the buttons, the junior NCO add the golden tress arround the collar and the shoulders, and the NCO and the officers changed the shoulder to the german model.

Thank you very much for your comments, Eduardo.

Best,

Erik

I certainly wasn't disputing that this was common practice, just that from experiance I know that anything that isn't flush with your rig will snag.

Johnsy

Absolutely ! The daft thing is that even when you find photos of the Bordjacke where they have either no breast eagle, or a cloth embroidered one which wouldn't snag, they then pin all sorts of badges/medals to it which would snag !!

Dieselobermaschinist with "non-snag" BeVo Breast eagle but pin on ribbon bar and EK1

At last someone with some safety sense. Well, you'd expect the L.I. to be safety conscious. Nothing about his jacket that could snag though I suppose even the shoulder straps could be a potential hazard.

Interesting to note he has marked the pocket of his jacket with the "L.I." initials of his status as chief engineer.

At last someone with some safety sense. Well, you'd expect the L.I. to be safety conscious. Nothing about his jacket that could snag though I suppose even the shoulder straps could be a potential hazard.

Interesting to note he has marked the pocket of his jacket with the "L.I." initials of his status as chief engineer.

Heh heh, thats what we call a Lima Lima Delta, Little Lie Down

Regards;

Johnsy

• 2 months later...

The Jacket of the Flotillen Doctor of the 3rd U-Boot Flotille in La Rochelle

Hi there, could someone please identify the badge directly below the wound badge, preferably with a close up illustration? Thanking you in advance. I am a new member who is fascinated by anything 'U-Boot' (although my enthusiasm far outways my knowledge!) Please keep up the good work!

Regards

John

John,

Directly below the wound badge is the Blockade Breaker Badge.

Thanks Gordon for the help with that. May I just take the opportunity to thank you for your book 'Torpedo Los' which i have recently purchased, it is wonderful! You've made an old man very happy!

Regards

John

• 1 month later...

Very nice Uniforms guys!!!

Well here's mine, I jumped on it when his sea bag was picked up from the family, all his other items sold off and when I seen this once it was for sale I grabbed it due to the make up and who it was from, his name is Fritz Wohlleben, and served on... U13-U14-U48!! I love the slanted pockets, and his service in the Mine Sweeper Service.

He also earned the Kuban Sheld and his name is swen into it.

hope you like it.

greg koepp

Edited by greg koepp